News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Military Police

• 1 year later...

The Duke of Wellington asked for a Provost force to be raised for service in the Peninsular. Basically to hang looters so that the local population could be kept 'on-side'.

There were Provosts and Provosts Marshall's before then but I would think that Wellington's one would be the first 'real force' so to speak.

Cheers

Graeme

• 1 month later...

In the First World War, I have noticed that an Assistant Provost Marshall was usually present at the execution by firing squad of soldiers court martialled for disciplinary reasons (the 'Shot at Dawn' men). Does anyone know what role the APM played at the execution - did he give the actual order to fire?

Its a long shot but if anyone has a photo of Capt AJD Simey, APM 6 Division in 1918, I'd be very interested. Peter.

• 4 months later...

Who and when first introduced the idea of Army police/Provost ? :cheers:

If you want to get really historical, you can go back to the medieval English campaigns in France. I'm working from an increasingly shaky memory here, no notes, so bear with me.

Anyway, as early as Agincourt there were "squires" whose duty it was to prevent quarrels - "affrays" in camp and punish people who "cried havoc" without just cause (ie: raised a false alarm). There are copies of the orders for the armies, which cover looting, making affray and other offences against the king's peace.

The squires had real power and could execute offenders on the king's say so without any particular form of trial. They were the ones who executed/murdered the French prisoners at Agincourt when it looked as if the French might get into the english camp and free them.

Some deep background. For what it's worth!