News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal

Hello all,

I recently picked up this Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal 1939-1945 medal and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. It is made of bronze with what looks like a black paint finish. This could be s tarnish as well, as there is some oxidation I believe on fair Brittania as well. I got the set (mini Newfie medal as well) at an antique/retro store that doesn't specialize in militaria, so not much info was available. I know these were given out in the 80's up till now I believe and I was wondering about the rarity of this medal, as Newfoundland couldn't have had to many people in ww2 that didn't receive the Canadian Volunteer service medal. Here first is the full size medal, unnamed.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat,

well according to my old copy of the medal year book, this medal is very rare!

Hers some blurb from the book.

While the second world War was being fought, Newfoundland was still a separate British colony which did not enter the Canadian Confederation untill 1947. Consequently Newfoundland Serviceman did not quailfy for the Canadian volunteer service medal, and this deficiency was not remedied until july 1981 when the Newfoundland provincial government instituted this medal. Those who had served wih the Canadian forces, on the other hand, and already held the Canadian medal, were not eligible for this award. The medal could be claimed by next-of -kin of those who had died in the war or since.

Well thats it i'm afraid...but somethings better than nothing!

( and i learnt something today!) :)

Cheers

Paul

Pat

A wonderful find! I've never seen one, nor to be honest, heard of it before, though I re-enact the Royal Newfld reg't of the war of 1812 period. A lovely thing - as nice, IMHO, as the CVSM it repaces.

About 15,000 Nefs saw active service in WWII - a huge percentage of the population. The RA had two batteries - 59th and 57th, there was a Nfld RAF squadron and many more served and died in the Merchant Marine. And that doesn't count the many who sailed to Halifax and joined the Cdn forces. Mackenzie King offered themn a spot in Confederation in 1943 in recognition of their services in the war effort.

And of course it was a major staging point for air and sea traffic cross the pond. My late father-in-law flew for the Ferry Command - bombers to the UK - and their standard route was Montreal-Goos Bay- Iceland - SCotland. Also, 100 Nef civilians died when a U-boat torpedoed SS Caribou off the coast in '44(?).

My tuppence worth

Peter

Newfoundland was still a separate British colony which did not enter the Canadian Confederation untill 1947.

Actually, it was 1949! I know a few Newf's that would take exception to anything earlier and wished they hadn't joined Canada at all. Mind you, they're not the ones working out west!

Cheers,

James

made of bronze with what looks like a black paint finish.

Hello Pat,

Hard to judge from pictures but I fear yours may be a copy. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but the "black" finish has me worried : I have a recent copy of the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal here (purchased it as I expect never to be able to find a rare genuine one) and it also has a black finish ...

And now that Laurence kindly posted the picture of the one his father received, I can't help but noticing the more detailed and finer striking of such an original medal as compared to the one in your picture or, indeed, my known copy.

Regards,

Hendrik

Hi again,

This one does seem to be a bit of a mystery as the mini-medal especially doesn't have much sharp definition, but it doesn't have the black finish. I'm not sure if the black and silver spots on the full-size medal are from when it was made, or some sort of oxidation. It is made of bronze as well as the small one, and I'm wondering if there were different types of this medal over the years. The one Laurence posted does have crisper definition, but is that just because mine was made at a lower quality? Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this one.

Thanks,

Pat

Actually, it was 1949! I know a few Newf's that would take exception to anything earlier and wished they hadn't joined Canada at all. Mind you, they're not the ones working out west!

Cheers,

James

Newfoundland was actually a dominion, and had not been a colony since 1907. Anyhow. The medal looks either fire-damaged or having been immersed in salt water for some time. It could be restored to a more pleasing appearance.

I would not worry about the mini some much as there never was an "official" mini, these are usually bought at the Regimental Kit Shop on a as need basis. I feel that the full size medal is a replacement medal, If it was a widley issued medal I could go along with the thought that there were multiple stampings of the medal. As to the date of issue it came in either the late 80's or in the 90's. As to how many were issued I don't think it would be more than low 5 figure's. From what I have heard and seen these medals go in the neighborhood of about $1800.00 US, though

I have writen Vetrans Affairs to see if I can get some more info on the issuing of the medal. I will post their reply when I get one :cheers:

Here's a store in Canada that sells replacement medals, for sale for $21.00 Cdn. Not a good photo though

http://www.canadianmilitaria.com/reproductions.htm

Here's a nice Govt site with all our Canadian Medals for those of you that are interested

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm...s/cmdp/mainmenu

Hello again,

I checked out the repro site and the repro seemed to be in a lot better shape than mine. I wonder if someone intentionally made mine look tarnished, or maybe there is another explanation. This is a rare medal and it is hard to find info on it. I eagerly wait for Laurence's reply from the government for more information. I didn't pay much for it as I found it at a secondhand store, not an "antique store", so that's good. I sure hope there isn't a rash of Canadian fakes going to appear because of sites like the one Laurence posted. They would have to be marked as repros in order to be legit, I believe. I hope my fears are just paranoia, but maybe mine is good, but chances are slim, using the comparison of the details as a marker. Any more ideas on this?

Thanks,

Pat

Newfoundland was actually a dominion, and had not been a colony since 1907.

Tony,

That's true! However, with "their" navy (Royal Newfoundland Navy Reserve) fell under the supervision of the Royal Navy, or Royal Navy Reserve. It was funny reading my grandfathers pay book and other papers, showing the ships he served on, when he served on Canadian ships it was "service in Royal Canadian Navy", then he would "revert" back to the Royal Navy. Off topic, I know, sorry! Carry on!

Cheers,

James

Edited by JamesM

Here's is a copy of my first reply and it states that to date the Govt of Newfoundland and labrdor have issued 4531 NVSM. I also ask in a follow up e-mail, what the date of institution of the awards was and how many were minted.

Good Afternoon Mr. Strong:

To date, our office has distributed 4531 Newfoundland World War II Volunteer Service Medals.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jeanette Fleming

Document Control Officer

Cabinet Secretariat

P.O. Box 8700

St. John's, NL A1B 4J6

Tel: (709) 729-2921

Fax: (709) 729-5218

E-Mail: Flemingj@gov.nl.ca

Hello Pat,

I have to agree with Hendrik on your Newfoundland medal. I believe it to be a copy. Like Hendrik I purchased a known copy as I never expect to find a period piece. I've attached a picture of the copy I have. Please note the differance in the jewels in the crown between Laurences father's medal and mine and yours also Laurence's is much sharper in detail and the lettering. If you didn't pay very much, no great loss and you have a decent example of a medal you probably won't have a chance to find.

Garth

Hi all,

Very pleasing medals thou. Quite a nice and rather an unusual design as opposed to many of the British medals I've seen in past years.

Thanks for posting them one and all.

Dan :cheers:

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and have had one heck of a time attaching these photos! ha ha

I found this forum and wanted to share this original NVSM with you.

I am also hoping that even though this forum is quite dated, that one of you gentlemen would be able to direct me to the sales area of this site?

Thank you kindly,

Delaneys2005