News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U.S. Army Decorations Awarded to Red Army Personnel in World War II

Ed,

Looking at the pencil notation at the top right corner of his award certificate, his name is: Kterin, Ilya Yudovich. The transliteration to English was a bit off.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Thanks for this. I thought my rudimentary Cyrillic skills whispered this to me. I am actually doing what I (and they) can do to research him.

• 2 months later...

To all:

A nice image of HSU General of the Army V.F. Margelov seen wearing the American Legion of Merit in the degree of Commander. Although a neck decoration, he's wearing it pinned to his breast.

During the war, Margelov, served as an officer in charge of Soviet naval infantry. Post-war, he was instrumental in reforming the Soviet Airborne Forces (VDV).

Regards,

slava1stclass

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...

To all:

A post-war photograph of HSU Guards Colonel General G. V. Baklanov. Note the U.S. Army Distinguished Service Cross immediately below his HSU medal (he was one of 53 Red Army personnel awarded the U.S. Army DSC) as well as the U.S. military Legion of Merit. Note, too, that his Legion of Merit is in the degree of Commander, but he wears it affixed to his tunic and not around his neck.

A younger Baklanov is also seen in post # 18 above saluting in formation during the the June 24th, 1945 Victory Parade in Moscow.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Gents,

A great photo of a yet-to-be identified HSU Major General who was one of 53 Red Army personnel to be awarded the U.S. Army Distinguished Service Cross (second only to the Medal of Honor for combat valor) during World War II. Note how he's remounted it using the original DSC award ribbon.

Regards,

slava1stclass

post-1011-002850900 1290904060_thumb.jpg

slava1stclass wrote:

I came across no hard evidence to confirm that either the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) or Soldier's Medal (SM) was awarded to Red Army personnel. This same OMSA publication, however, indicates that three DFCs and one oak leaf cluster (OLC) to the DFC as well as one SM were awarded.

I have copies of General Orders giving the citations for 46 Distinguished Flying Crosses and eight Air Medals that were awarded to Soviet officers in 1944 and 1945. I do not know if that is the total number or just a part of those awarded.

Gunner 1

To all:

While not a Soviet, an ally nonetheless. A very nice photograph of Polish General of the Army S. G. Poplawski shown wearing the U.S. Army Distinguished Service Cross.

Regards,

slava1stclass

It is interesting to see a Polish Officer with Soviet Awards. I wonder how this came to be?

Paul R wrote: "It is interesting to see a Polish Officer with Soviet Awards. I wonder how this came to be?"

Actually many Polish officers received Soviet decorations during World War II and many Soviet officers received Polish decorations. In the last few years of the war there were two Polish armies: the Polish Army in Exile that was headquartered in London and the Polish People's Army which fought with the Russians. Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1

slava1stclass wrote:

I have copies of General Orders giving the citations for 46 Distinguished Flying Crosses and eight Air Medals that were awarded to Soviet officers in 1944 and 1945. I do not know if that is the total number or just a part of those awarded.

Gunner 1

Gunner 1,

Thank you for this excellent additional information.

Regards,

slava1stclass

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing those awesome photographs. Their feats must have been very high profile in nature in order to catch the attention of the American commands. Did the British or French ever present awards to combatants in the Soviet Armed Forces during WW2?