News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

North Korean Awards

Some hopeful news: they CAN be researched. I am in touch with somebody with access to the right local authorities. It would go into too much detail right here right now to explain further. Depending on work priorities, I may decide to travel to North Korea Q1 next year to further pursue this.

That is a wonderful news!!

Tang Si

• Replies 175
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a wonderful news!!

Tang Si

Well, let's celebrate once I see a successful result... which will require:

- travelling to DPRK

- overcoming some hurdles

- then seeing: what actually exists in the archives - just a name/date or "holy grail"?

Am in contact with a member of government who has indicated ability to facilitate this process.

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

A nice article has just been published, "Unusual 'Heroes' of North Korea", by Robin C. Chiang, Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America, 58, 6 (November-December 2007): 36-37.

Wherein we learn, for example, of the retrospective award in 2000 of "hero" to a brave ginkgo tree which had crashed (is that the right verb?) a US aircraft during the Korean war. Presumably this was a posthumous award?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I read this article. Trees and machinery getting hero stars...what a country!

I can only imagine all those brave horses in the Crimean war receiving their well-earned Victoria Crosses from the hand of the Queen...

And in WW1 there was a VERY brave handgranade that should have received a bronze star...

I guess they will never receive their due!

:P

Fascinating!

How did they bestow an award to the tree - by actually attaching it to the tree itself? :speechless1:

I would assume that a Personal File for the heroic tree was also created in military headquarters. They would have to come up with the name for the tree as well... :cheers::cheers::cheers:

William

Edited by new world

• 3 weeks later...

Friends,

I have a dispute with the seller about Korean order.

It looks to me that award in the original picture and the one I received are not the same. One difference is presence of multiple scratches on my award, while original photo shows smooth surface with nice patina.

Please let me know if you think it's the same award.

Best regards,

William

PS: pic of original order from the seller

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your input! It supports my belief that these are indeed different awards.

I' m going to talk to the seller about replacing this award. It's a shame the reverse is all ruined, the award looks perfect on the observe.

Best regards,

William

Edited by new world

• 5 months later...

Left side top to bottom:

kind of award, class, no., date awarded, signature of person awarding

Second line: Order of the Flag 2nd Class, #5634, Awarded on 1957.10.31

Right side top to bottom:

Regulations for award

Regulations for the 1st,2nd and 3rd class of the Order of the Flag

Persons who are awarded the Order of the National Flag receive the following;

First Class Order:

1. They can receive free tickets for train, ship, electric transport(?), and all public vehicles

2. Will receive 1200 Won per year

3. Upon reaching 55 years old for men or 50 years old for women or lose the ability to work they will receive retirement pay as per regulations

Second Class Order:

1. Will receive 900 Won per year

2. They can receive free tickets for train and electric transportation

3. Same as #3 for 1st class

Third Class Order:

1. Will receive 600 Won per year

2. They can receive free tickets for electric transportation

Edited by Verdun16

From post #117

Left side:

Name of person receiving award

247919: Number of the award (i.e. serial number)

Right Side:

Name: Sausenin Grigory Petrovich (Loose translation. It messed my guy up with it not being a Korean name)

Location of Hometown: Blank

Location of awarding: Blank

Occupation: Advisor to the Chief of the public hospital system.

sorry - here's first pic of inside

admit it... this guy does not look Korean:)

Edited by Verdun16

Left side (Right side is pretty much the same regulations and etc)

3. Upon reaching 55 years old for men or 50 years old for women or lose the ability to work they will receive retirement pay as per regulations

8. People who receive the first, second and/or third class of the order of the national flag have to obey these obligations

9. Be the example for all other people

10. You must participate in developing our country's economy and culture

11. You must wear your orders and medals whenever you participate in special events

12. If a person who was awarded any class of the order goes to prison they are not allowed to wear the order during that time

13. If a non-authorized person wears this order they will be fully punished

14. Any award of any class of the order can be revoked by the senate house of the PDRK

• 1 year later...
    • 1 month later...

My method of displaying some of my DPRK Orders and Red Flag Company awards: On the Tunic of a DPRK officer. Quite obviously he is young, as a Lieutenant, to have received such an array of awards...except that in north Korea, sons in the military are authorized to wear the awards received by their fathers!

(The Hero star is a copy!)