News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.....

That cased 2nd class looks familiar. :P

Very nice collection Laurence, VERY nice. :D

PS - Hope you and the family are doing well!!!

Hi Jim

It should look familiar...you the Daddy :D:cheers:

Everything is good here Thanks. :D

Thanks Ricardo.

Hi Fritz

Welcome to the forum, could you post some scans of the makers marks/silver content please?

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hi Laurence,

Sorry this took so long.

I asked to see a better pic because I'm not familiar with this type of packet on such a scale, I'll try to explain in a mo.

I've had a look on the WAF under our names and Brian's, I did an advanced search on us all to no avail, only when you first encountered Brian's pic's and requested if he ever sell it to contact yourself I think, or along the lines of that.

If I did comment on it and vouch for it and if I did I'd be inclined to say I was incorrect, I will personally refund you any monies lost for the packet mate.

I suspect it's naughty, but this is just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

My impression this is a copy of a genuine sorts and one of what I call in my diction the 'scrawl' fake series. Some of there earlier (I class them in series) sorts are easy to spot, then more recent ones are better and now they're reached almost perfection in duplication of original packets........perhaps they even have ?

To me this is a scrawl packet emulation of a small genuine Ldo packet thats encountered. I've found it in three forms, earlier logo Ldo and devoid of warrenty and a post 'earlier' Ldo logo form, one in blue ink (mine was vet obtained) and another in black ink that lives in a collection here in the UK.

The two 'latter' versions, the latin LDO in a frame does have the warrenty on the reverse of the packet. One common trait is that all three are a small size packet (see pic, I'll relent from measurements but you can easily scale the pic) Also, the flap is a 'stubbed' cut of flap rather than the pointy one.

The warrenty is not the usual generic paper packet size or spacing, I think this is relevant to the size.

In addtion it's true to say that also the obverse Ldo log is too, a smaller size catoring for the smaller packet dimensions I believe.

From the look of it, your packet is the larger size, with these smaller print traits front and back. It's a larger form packet with the stubbed flap too. It also looks to me to be of the scrawl type paper, that I can't judge properly, but it's the impression I get.

I've seen similar sorts in Germany and else where, not exactly this type I confess (I have encountered the earlier form Ldo logo as a fake, in a more or less correct colour paper and near on perfect copy print and in size....I spotted it in Germany and even the seller confessed it was bad, he's now a good source for fakes and recognition of them), but in my mind things tally and point to at least say it's a dubious sorts that needs questioning and looking at further even if my thoughts seem provinvcial and bias.

Here are two of the three sorts, the one on the right of course being the sort your's is pertaining to be in my opinion.

The warrenty on the reverse, specific it seems to this smaller packet, in my opinion.

You'll find the Ldo cellophane packets also have different spaced wording too.....etc

Also, the fold of these of packets appears to date to be always on the left, not right (yours is 'flapped over' on the right)

Edited by Marcus H

Ooops a few typo's in the above 'there' and' their' etc I've been 38 hours now and a tad shagged :(

Yeah never throw away fakes ! As I'm not the last word or expert....you never ever know !

Sorry Larry to be the bearer of such negative thought mate.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Got this for cheap... any opinions? The MM is L/58. Looks identical to another one posted in GMIC from what I can tell so hoping it's a good one. The seller didn't seem sure one way or the other. If a copy no biggie money wise... but if it's good I'll be an extremely happy camper.

Again mucho thanks in advance for any and all opinions. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 1 month later...