News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The RAF and the London Blitz

I saw a program on the History Channel about a RAF pilot that smashed his plane into a German bomber that was about to destroy Buckingham Palace. Quite fortunate, as this would have destroyed British morale. I believe the RAF outperformed the Luftwaffe spectaculary. Why do you think this is? Comments?

I believe the RAF outperformed the Luftwaffe spectaculary. Why do you think this is? Comments?

Hello Oddball,

I could just say we were better :D but I've seen German TV programmes where former Luftwaffe pilots were of the opinion that the RAF pilot was better trained, even though they had formation problems.

We mustn't forget that the majority of these pilots were defending their country against an invader and others (from countries already overrun by Germany) who had probably already lost everything they held dear, may have just wanted to kill Germans. The Commonwealth has a number of countries where the men are well known for their bravery too; Oz, Canada, NZ etc.

All that probably made them go that little extra and out perform the Luftwaffe.

Also, I think Germans (not the aircrews) may have thought they were on a high and that no one could stop them. Never underestimate the enemy.

Tony