News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Engineers tunic pre WWI?

Hello Gents,

This has been added to the collection to be displayed on a mannequin.

Its a Enginers tunic with some mothing and some collar damage.

It should display well in spite of these damages.

Mainly becuse of the fact that it has all the buttons.

What year would the gents put this at?

the seller thinks that its dated 1910-1936 becuase of the buttons having the George V buttons.

Now if anyone can help with another badge for the collar that is missing one...and some of the collar tress

I would be ever so gratefull!

Enjoy!

Comments encouraged!

Kind regards

Paul

Hello Again Gents.

I have the Tunic now...

Its not a George V dated Tunic..its got George VI dated buttons

It has 4 loops for the medalbar..so i have displayed it with a 5 place bar i put together for it...i will change it later and add a Long service or a Earlier campaign medal...

Have bought a 2nd hand mannequin... dont you think that it displays well???

Will look at repairing the collar a bit... can anyone help with some collar tress??

Enjoy!

Here it displays as the Guard in my 'War Corner" you can see a few other bits and pieces there...

A display case with all my Imperial medalbars in... would you believe it..theres over 20 bars in there!

The Hauptmann Tunic is an adjutant from the Norwegian campaign,...the other is a re-enacters tunic yet to be completed. ( at least this one fits me! the other one is sooo small! Bloody hell some German officers were blimmin midgets! not like us big strapping Kiwi buggers! :) )No wonder Rommel lost in africa!... too many bloody Kiwis there!.. kicked his Afrika Korps ass! true...in a well respected book by a British Brigadier, named Desmond Young( first published 1950)...he ( Rommel) was known as a Kiwi respecter...he thought that out of all the Empire troops, the Kiwi was the best! ...I kid you not! he had the greatest respect for the Kiwi troops in that he thought they fought well and were disciplined ...not like the Aussie ..he said they were great fighters..but could NOT be controlled into a decent fighting force! ...( his words not mine ok!..) hows that from Rommel! anyway if any of you can get hold of the book...its a sensational read!.. in a believable way...you know...with all the crap out there these days to read...this is pure heaven! and factual..( which is a nice refreshing change..)

Cheers

Paul

Edited by notned

Nice item!

"Wyedean Weaving" (sorry lost the address) does regimental braid, metallic braid, etc for British and Commonwealth uniforms. Where I get authentic 1812 era "lacing' for tunics, so i'm sure they'll have your metallic tress - they do the braid for HRH Philip's unifroms, for example. They're in the north of England.

Hope this helps. If they won't sell you less than a roll, send me a closeup of the pattern - i have a friend who makes period uniforms and may have some in stock.

Peter

Peter, thankyou so much for your reply.

I am so glad there is someone out there who can perhaps help me with the Tress, or point me in the right direction. thankyou for the name...it will get me searching.. :)

If have no luck..i will let you know...thanks for the offer :)

Kind regards

Paul

New Zealand.

Hello Again Gents,

I have picked up a book from the Library.

Its called 'Dress Regulations for the Army 1900'

It has a plate with picture of the tunic.

It tells me this is for an Engineers Lieutenant.

Also is missing the shoulder insignia, which is a treble twisted round-back woven cords lined with scarlet , rather elegant indeed!

It also has the pics of the Tress for the collar, so will scan and have it for matching up the missing Tress.

Will keep you posted on further developments..

Hopefully i can dig up the shoulder boards and the Tress, to complete the Tunic and restore it to its former glory.. :)

Cheers

Paul

Here are the pics of the shoulder boards and the Collar Tress

and a shot of the Tunic from the book

Peter can i send you the pic of the tress so that you could please ask your friend if he may have some spare for me?

Many thanks!

Regards

Paul