News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schlesischer Adler / Silesian Eagles

here's another period-repaired vaulted eagle that i like. this one is quite nicely done.

front shows some repair to the enamel, and reverse has a finely executed pin system attached. the bar that the hinge and carch are attached to consists of actual silver

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-4736-0-01285900-1339110764.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-4736-0-99320700-1339110887.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-4736-0-86456800-1339110906.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

Hello gents,

Just picked up this Godet buttonhole decoration with Silesian Eagle mini. I am wondering that there is no yellow-white ribbon for Silesian Eagle in the ribbon bow. In fact, I am wondering all ribbons that are there, because they look quite strange to me. Can somebody help me to identify them? Do you think this buttonhole mini is original, or Silesian eagle was added there later, replacing original medal?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Well, that is interesting. TR Red cross medal, Brunswick war medal and something I have no clue about...the little blue stripe next to the white.... i thought Bavarian but ??????

The lack of the Silesian ribbon doesn't bother me as I expect someone thought, "well, I have the eagle so the ward is represented.

It's too odd to be a fake IMHO.

Indeed, unique.

Thank you for info, Ulsterman. I didn´t mean it is a throughout fake, I just hesitated, if it is not mixed up from original parts. But of course, would be happy to found out you´re right that this is unique original piece.

I agree with TR Red cross medal, but are you sure the second one is Brunswick war merit cross? Two thin stripes are not just yellow - it´s made from red and yellow squares...

Regards, Miro

• 1 month later...

RE: POST 230-236

Suspect the 2 unidentified ribbons are [blue + yellow/red squares] a Romanian 1913 Balkan War medal [Medalia "Avintul Tarii" -- (Medal of the Country's Upsurge)] and [yellow-red-blue-white-black...] a 1906 romanian King Carol I 40 year jubilee medal [Medalia Jubiliara Carol I]. If so, quite an individual assortment!!

Edited by 922F

RE: POST 230-236

Suspect the 2 unidentified ribbons are [blue + yellow/red squares] a Romanian 1913 Balkan War medal [Medalia "Avintul Tarii" -- (Medal of the Country's Upsurge)] and [yellow-red-blue-white-black...] a 1906 romanian King Carol I 40 year jubilee medal [Medalia Jubiliara Carol I]. If so, quite an individual assortment!!

You are right, thank you for confirming this. With the help of WAF forum I got these two ribbons identified. I also found out, that there are more white-red ribbons, not only TR Red cross medal. And the only white-red ribbon with swords device, I´ve found, is Austrian Order of Leopold. I also started to be quite sure, that Silesian Eagle is later add-on, possibly made by Steinhauer & Luck, who marked some of their 57 version items (minis) with "O" mark. So, it looks like Eagle is not original to the cross while the ribbons are genuine. The question is, how one man could receive 1906 Carol II. jubilee, 1913 Balkan war medal and then the high order of Rumanian enemy - Austrian Order of Leopold - and everything this on german Godet button used from 1933 to 1945.

Miro

Yes, a Leopold would be strange.

Among awards utilizing white/red ribbons, and perhaps [?] a more likely candidate in a Romanian context, is the Medalia "Meritul Cultural" catigori artele plastice [Cultural Merit Medal, Fine Arts division]. {The current Romanian government revived this distinction in the 2000s using the same ribbon colors as monarchy issues.} But why the swords & Eagle?

Possibly here we may have a totally Romanian ribbon group mounted by Godet, with swords and a Silesian Eagle add-on. Or a repurposing of a Godet mounting button device + add-on?

Or maybe a Croat Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir, military division? Endless speculations!!

One thing is sure. Silesian Eagle is not genuine to this button. All I want now is to find correct - or plausible - medal/cross to the button and restore it to original beauty. Of course, it is not theme for Silesian Eagle thread anymore.

Edited by marrauder

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Apparently the Poles had their own version of the Silesian Eagle. I would love to know what this is called and what it looks like.

Here it is.

Beware of ones that say "für Schlesien". These are fake. It's believed that either they are the result of some stupid person removing the Polish inscription and replacing it with the German one Or, they are complete fabrications.

Fritz Todt, wearing NSKK Uniform, with Silesian Eagle badges 1st and 2nf class

Are you sure it is Todt? Do you have any info about his Freikorps past in Upper Silesia? Moreover, I clearly see (for the first time, thanx for showing!) Freikorps Aulock badge! So the guy on a foto very well might be Hubertus von Aulock himself, he was NSKK-Brigadeführer later. Actually, he looks like Aulock :)