News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schlesischer Adler / Silesian Eagles

• 2 months later...

Does any one know of the validity of this "Silesian Eagle Day Badge" the top scroll displays "XII R.F.S.T." and the bottom scroll 30/31 MAI + BRESLAU + 1931" Any information on this would be appreciated; purpose, grades, origin, value, etc.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: That CRAZY Luftwaffe Beamter in #248 is wearing the pinback cross of III. Marine Brigade Loewenfeld on his wartime uniform!!!! :speechless1::speechless::shame:

• 1 month later...

:Cat-Scratch: That CRAZY Luftwaffe Beamter in #248 is wearing the pinback cross of III. Marine Brigade Loewenfeld on his wartime uniform!!!! :speechless1::speechless::shame:

He is also wearing an odd device - which I cannot make out - on the second ribbon of his ribbon bar

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Here's a rather "salty" set of documents (especially the mimeographed Schlesien Adler doc) complete with medals to:

Grenadier/Sanitäter Paul Rohde, III (Augusta) Batln. Reichswehr Inf. Regt. 30 (Garde Grenadier Regiment). By 1934, Rohde was a Dental Technician, as indicated on his Hindeburg Cross document. On an official leave document from March 1920 (not shown), Rohde's rank is that of a Sanitäter, or army medic. So, perhaps he was a dental assistant in the later stages of his military service, which he continued in civilian life.

Docs and Medals: EKII, Black Wound Badge, Silesian Eagle I and II, Hindenburg Cross. The medals show very little wear with the exception of the Silesian Eagle I. Therefore, I think it's likely that Rohde only wore his SAI in the field, which would account for most of the silver finish being gone on the obverse. The silver finish is largely intact on the reverse.

The EKII and Wound Badge documents are signed by Pour le Merite winner Major Freiherr von Schleinitz, commander of Königin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 4., and the Freikorps successor units Vol. Btln. Guards Grenadier Regt. 4 (Augusta) and Reichswehr Inf. Regt. 30 (Garde Grenadier Regiment) from Juy 26, 1918 - March 12, 1919. Schleinitz later became Commander of Freikorps Hindenburg and was a General der Infanterie in WWII.

The III (Augusta) Batln. Reichswehr Inf. Regt. 30 (Garde Grenadier Regiment) was initially designated as Vol. Btln. Guards Grenadier Regt. 4 (Augusta), as part of Vol. 2nd Guards Infantry Division/ 3rd Vol. Guards Infantry Brigade formed in November 1918 from Königin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 4, the regiment in which Rohde served during the war (noted on his EKII and Wound Badge documents).
    The 2nd Guards Infantry Division was never demobilized in 1918, and with its war formation intact was sent into Upper Silesia as early as November 1918 only a short time after the Armistice. On 13 March 1919 the Division formed 2nd Division Freikorps Schlesien. This formation went to Munich on April 28 and took part in the Freikorps assault on the city on May 3, which defeated the Munich Soviet Red Army. The unit then returned to border defence in Upper Silesia throughout 1919 and 1920. It formed together with Freikorps Eulenburg, Reichswehr Brigade 26 in Fürstenwalde in June 1919. It merged with Reichswehr Brigade 34 to become Reichswehr Brigade 15 in October 1919 in the Übergangsheer

docscompsm.jpg

Medalssm.jpg

The 2nd Guards Infantry Division was never demobilized in 1918, and with its war formation intact was sent into Upper Silesia as early as November 1918 only a short time after the Armistice. On 13 March 1919 the Division formed 2nd Division Freikorps Schlesien. This formation went to Munich on April 28 and took part in the Freikorps assault on the city on May 3, which defeated the Munich Soviet Red Army. The unit then returned to border defence in Upper Silesia throughout 1919 and 1920. It formed together with Freikorps Eulenburg, Reichswehr Brigade 26 in Fürstenwalde in June 1919. It merged with Reichswehr Brigade 34 to become Reichswehr Brigade 15 in October 1919 in the Übergangsheer

Interesting!!

This has a document for a Schutztruppe Officer, repariated on Parol during the war... so he did not serve again in the army, but in November 1918 joined the Garde 2nd Div...

I assume that was considered as a "different deal" and not covered by his Parole?

Can you explain that more? I don't quite understand. There's another name handwritten over Rohde's on the EK doc (Johann Gusten??). I've never understood why that's there, as this is definitely Rohde's EK doc.

Edited by bolewts58
    punctuation

Thank you for the correction - Johann Gustav. I had a thought that maybe he had a son whose name was Paul Johann Gustav Rohde, who found the the document and wrote his name over his father's as a prank. Not a very German thing to do. But, I'm at a loss as to why it's been over-written like this.

• 1 year later...

I went back through this old thread and spotted some fakes posted as originals by unsuspecting collectors.

The low quality, hollow front Silesian Eagles with the raised edges are well-known modern Polish fakes.

The deluxe enameled screwback is a well-known fake as well, known as the double-line, hollow eye. The LDO box is also a fake.

These boxed screwbacks have shown up on eBay quite frequently in the past.

Polishfake.jpg

Polishfake2.jpg

Polishfakerev.jpg

Polishfake2a.jpg

Doubleline_Hollow eye enamel.jpg

Doubleline_Hollow eye enamel2.jpg

Doubleline_Hollow eye enamel2rev.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

SA II with Swords finished in the much less common frosted silver with gilt fittings.

The trifold ribbon is likely a modern replacement, but makes for a nice display.

Silvered_swords.jpg

Silvered_swordsrev.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

On 7/10/2010 at 13:52, TerryG said:

Another one

Silesian screw a forum.JPG

This is the same fake posted by someone else. These are actually die-cast instead of die-struck and enameled with cold acrylic enamel instead of the fired, glass enamel used in originals.

Edited by bolewts58

• 1 year later...
    4 hours ago, Eric Stahlhut said:

a nice shiny meybauer version, am assuming the incused "echte auflage" mark under the catch indicates gold plating

20171009_133556.thumb.jpg.ee23d0eafa7c1287b1fd27ca219105b0.jpg20171009_134105.thumb.jpg.3a1aac08986845c34524334e97ac655b.jpg20171009_134018.thumb.jpg.3b55a3c9571bc2cf1e059a08ea90bf50.jpg

Echte Auflage means 'genuine edition', 'genuine impression' or 'genuine strike'.

Just now, bolewts58 said:

Echte Auflage means 'genuine edition', 'genuine impression' or 'genuine strike'.

...and in jewelry terms, "echtgold auflage" means gold plated... i couldn't imagine they were worried about knockoffs, but if they were, that could explain why their brand seems to be the most replicated of all the makers

9 hours ago, Eric Stahlhut said:

...and in jewelry terms, "echtgold auflage" means gold plated... i couldn't imagine they were worried about knockoffs, but if they were, that could explain why their brand seems to be the most replicated of all the makers

Echte Auflage doesn't appear on every version of this brass type of Meybauer eagle. It could refer to a first edition or first strike of this badge.I agree. I'm sure they weren't worried about unauthorized copies. Echtgold means real gold. So, I find it odd that it would mean gold-plated. Where did you find this info? Vergoldet means gold-plated.