News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schlesischer Adler / Silesian Eagles

Hi,

My personal opinion: "Echte Auflage" means here, that the additions as the half moon and the letter band are in (genuine) silver, or they are at least (genuine) silver plated.

Uwe

Edited by speedytop
    addition

3 hours ago, speedytop said:

Hi,

My personal opinion: "Echte Auflage" means here, that the additions as the half moon and the letter band are in (genuine) silver, or they are at least (genuine) silver plated.

Uwe

Being a native speaker, you should know. Thanks for the clarification.

then why is the obverse of the badge fairly shiny and bright after nearly 100 years? no signs or smells indicating recent cleaning--- one would think that being made of brass it would be extremely tarnished. the reverse certainly is tarnished, but not the obverse. the silver half moon and letter band are somewhat tarnished, as would be expected from silver or silver plate.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...
    On 1/10/2013 at 15:39, LarryT said:

How many photos show both classes of the Silesian Eagle being worn at the same time.

Here is a Heer Administration Official wearing two Silesian Eagles.

Larry

Beamten - 5.jpg

KM Oberfeldwebel wearing both classes.

img279.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...
    On 28/03/2009 at 16:31, VtwinVince said:

Great grouping. The signature on the retirement doc is of course Heinrich Luebke, the president who one famously said to a crowd in Africa, "Meine Damen und Herren, und andere Neger" (Ladies and Gentlemen, and other Negroes", and who can forget his audience with the Queen, when he blurted out "Equal goes it loose!!", when in fact he was trying to say, "Gleich geht es los".

"Meine Damen und Herren, liebe Neger!" - angeblich 1962 beim Staatsbesuch in Liberia, wahrscheinlich nur erfunden, siehe zeit.de

Real:

"Die Leute müssen ja auch mal lernen, dass sie sauber werden." - Staatsbesuch in Madagaskar, 1962

Kind regards

Hundinger

• 1 year later...

Eric. That's a very nice looking period SA II.

Here are a pair of documents to a teacher, Lehrer Herrn Erich Salzbrunn from Paruschowitz in Kreis Rybnik, Upper Silesia. Rybnik was the center of the the First Polish Uprising in 1919 and of the Upper Silesia plebiscite in March 1921.

The documents have been trimmed a bit. But, otherwise they're in good condition. The interesting thing about them is that they are both signed in pencil by well-known Reichswehr generals. The Silesia Eagle was awarded a lot to civilians who worked in some capacity with the Reichswehr in Grenzschutz Ost Schlesien. Most only got the 2nd class. So, it's unusual for a civilian to get the 1st class, as well. He must have been a pretty important civilian to warrant having his documents personally signed by a general. Most of this type of document have only facsimile or auto-pen signatures.

SA 2 doc is signed by Generalmajor Karl Hoefer (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Hoefer) when he was commander of Reichswehr-Brigade 6 in Breslau, Oberschlesien. (https://www.axishistory.com/various/140-germany-reichswehr/reichswehr/2361-reichswehr-brigade-6)

SA1 doc is signed by Generalmajor and Kommandeur der 2 Kavallerie-Division Otto von Preinitzer (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Preinitzer), (https://de.linkfang.org/wiki/Otto_von_Preinitzer)

Salzbrunn_SA2sm.thumb.jpg.99337674435b04de3c714ec8efcb4576.jpg
    Salzbrunn_SA1sm.thumb.jpg.bf61abe30b7a194e77b14fd15f4060d7.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

2 hours ago, Eric Stahlhut said:

I wonder what Erich Salzbrunn did during the great war...many of those civilians (former soldiers) helped secure weapons from depots and distribute ammunition. perhaps that has something to do with his award level

That's a good point. It's possible he was a veteran and I only managed to get two of his award documents which does happen. But, also, he may have always just been a teacher and already too old to serve in 1914 when the war started. He could have been involved in what you suggest or could have been an Einwohnerwehr leader in Rybik. There's no way of knowing.

I agree... a non combattant Silesian Eagle 1st class is as rare as hens teeth...

I had a long correspondence with the guy who did the articles about the award for the BDOS... he said it was technically only allowed for the 2nd class to be awarded. There are a tiny amount of exceptions... almost singel figures.

I have a group with white ribbon EK2, Yellow ribbon Braunscheig, and eagles 1st and 2nd class to a non combattant (and a bunch of other awards)... rare as hell... but on the flip side... noone appretiates them

1 hour ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

I agree... a non combattant Silesian Eagle 1st class is as rare as hens teeth...

I had a long correspondence with the guy who did the articles about the award for the BDOS... he said it was technically only allowed for the 2nd class to be awarded. There are a tiny amount of exceptions... almost singel figures.

I have a group with white ribbon EK2, Yellow ribbon Braunscheig, and eagles 1st and 2nd class to a non combattant (and a bunch of other awards)... rare as hell... but on the flip side... noone appretiates them

Agree grossly under-appreciated. What makes these even more unusual is being signed in pencil by two leading Reichswehr generals commanding in upper Silesia. Most of this particular type of document even for military personnel have facsimile signatures.

1 hour ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

HI Chris,

if you could show us a photo of this group, I would be very delighted! 

Thanks

here's a unique example that i had to have, as i'm pretty sure that once upon a time, a long time ago, a certain Rick L. posted a thread with a studio portrait of an old fighter who was wearing this. i've looked for that thread for years, but have yet to find it. hopefully it is still lurking somewhere in the internet ether. i do know that if dear rick could see this post, he certainly would be hopping up and down (emotically)

it has extensive enamel damage, and unfortunately i think a piece has come off of the left wing in the years since i obtained it. can anyone determine what the swords could have come off of??

any762242147_20201107_102517(1).thumb.jpg.cccdd6d0a56b69b3058807a9fc0b8fc0.jpg1517011913_20201107_102552(1).thumb.jpg.b42d702fb9826d18cd916ceb05fd0666.jpg

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

• 1 year later...
    • 6 months later...