News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII Jewish woman's medals group

Driver ?

Thank you ! :beer:

Hallo Igor, :beer:

A lot of women were used to drive the staff-cars of senior officers of the Army, Navy, and Royal Air-force, not only back in the United Kingdom but in the rear areas that had been freed from Enemy occupation and well behind the front lines, and I believe some even accompanied the officers into other countries as the Allies closed in on Germany.

I stand open to correction.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Yes, it would be driver. And this could be anything from driving VIPs to driving supply trucks. Not sure on the significance ot the "P" prefix to the service number, though I have a partial list somewhere.

I assume the medals themselves are unnamed? A shame the British decided to issue these unnamed, unlike other commonwealth governments (e.g., India, South Africa, Australia). Despite what some have written, this was not an economy measure, but came out of a desire to issue the medals with little delay.

Interesting group that helps date when medals were awarded. Medals couldn't be sent to an Israel that didn't exist, so these are post-1948. This parallels patterns I have seen in researhing WWII medals in India, most of which seem to have been isued in the early 1950s but, then, India was striking them themselves.