News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RCAF Marconi Navigation device for Bombers 1942

Hello gentlemen,

I have finally got some digital camera pics of my RCAF Indicator. Frequency Type C2...etc. This was made by the world famous radio maker, Canadian Marconi Company. I think this was used to dial in a frequency and the bomber or plane would follow the frequency to help navigate bombing runs. If you were too far off course I think the signal would be lost. If anyone knows about this device and approxamitely what it might be worth (I never ask this question, but I really have NO idea what this is worth) that would be extremely helpful. It has a serial# 341 and was manufactured in 1942. First up is a picture of the whole device, with steel cap on.

Thanks for all help,

Pat

Here is a good shot of the controls and markings. Plenty of info, maybe someone who knows about technical navigation devices like this can decipher it for me. A good unique piece for sure.

Thanks,

Pat

And Finally, the tag that is still attached to the RCAF navigation device. If anyone has any information on the purpose and value of this unique item, please leave your advice. Always been one of my favourite pieces, but not much info is out there on it.

Thanks,

Pat :cheers:

Hi Pat,

Very nice piece. I always have loved this kind of equipment along with radios, guages, clocks from aircraft, tanks, etc., as well as optics... gadgets... what can I say... I'm a guy... I like gadgets! :P

The only downside to these types of things is that they are very expensive to ship so it kind of limits who would be able to collect it. I myself have passed on hundreds of pieces of equipment this big or bigger because it would cost more in some cases to ship it than to buy it outright.

But you lucked out getting it locally.

As to what it's worth I have no earthly idea... but the way I look at it don't be bashful about asking. I always full well admit when I don't know and ask for help in this area. Not getting confirmations on price but simply totally in the dark and honestly need to find out just so I know.

As far as the types of signals... here's my understanding of it from one of my Naval Science Instructions (NSI's) way back when, once upon a time in a galaxy long, long ago and far, far away. There were basically two signal beams sent out in morse code. One was for the letter A which is ._ and N which is _. and they'd beam these continuously. Also I believe there was a third which was a continuous tone. If you "rode the beam" which was the continuous tone... you'd be right on target... riding the rails so to speak. If however you went into the A you were deviating one direction or N you were going off the other way... say North or South.

So it was kind of like staying between the lines marked on a road... don't go over into the white lines in the middle or the yellow lines on the side and you're fine... just stay in the middle.

And since this is by Marconi who used morse for much of his early equipment I'd guess that's exactly what this did... is receive those signals so the pilots could "ride the beam" and zero in on their targets... then ride it back in reverse to get back home safe and sound.

Again this is my knowledge based on what I was told a loooooong time ago so if anyone wants to counter it I won't stand in their way... but I'm pretty sure that's the real deal.

A great piece... you can just box that one up and send it down to me any old time you get tired of it. :rolleyes::P:cheeky::beer::lol:

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Dan

• 5 months later...

Great information Dan, that explains its use very well :beer: I love this type of gadgetry and it can't be all that common with such a low serial number and considering how many RCAF planes were in the sky in ww2. If anyone has any further info it would be a great help and very interesting to hear more about this device.

Cheers,

Pat

• 4 years later...