News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Airmans qualification badge

Daniel Murphy

Gentlemen,

I ran across this blog while performing a search. There is a link below. About halfway down the page there is a purported Turkish airmans qualification badge from WW1 in it's issue case. This item is in the collection of the Australian War Museum and the description is theirs. The description states that these were issued in bronze, silver and gold grades depending on perhaps how well they qualified. The one shown is in Bronze and there are additional photos at the AWM site. One photo shows the top of the titled case but it is, of course in arabic. All photos are copywrited, so I cannot post them. I have the exact badge in gilt without case. It is getting late so I will post photos tommorow.

Dan Murphy

Here is the link to the blog:

Turkish history blog

Here is the link to the search page at the AWM. Just enter "turkish badge" and select period WW1 1914-1918. It will come up at the top of the page:

Australian War Museum

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Ok, here are the pics of mine. Sorry for the wait. I once sent an email to Tim Tezer and described the badge. He thought that it could be a 1920's (from the markings) aviation donation pin. After WW1, the Turkish air service was disbanded and in 1923 it was recreated. The first pilots of the new formation were trained in France in 1924. Training in Turkey did not begin until 1925. Since the written Turkish language was changed from arabic script to latin letters in 1924, why would a later case still be marked in the old language. The badge measures a rather small 34mm wide by 39mm high. The insignia at the top resembles the breast star of the Osmani Order. Obverse....

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Here is a close up of the marking in the center of the star at the top of the badge. It is "T.C. 18" with a crescent. I have lightened the photo of the Australian piece on my computer and it also does have the same marking as this one.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Sorry I've been so slow getting on to this. I wanted to see if any of the books I have give a date when these were made and awarded, but I haven't had any free time to sit down and look it up. In any case, it is not an Ottoman military pilot's badge, it's an early Turkish Republic badge for donating funds or services to the reconstruction of the Turkish Air Force. The Latin alphabet was not introduced until 1928, so either the case is not for this badge, or they were introduced prior to 1928 and the cases made with that inscription. (I looked at the photo of the case inscription on the Australian War Memorial site - good luck trying to read that.) The "T.C. 18" mark on Daniel's example is a Turkish Republic 18 carat gold hallmark. I have one of these in my collection, but it's made of gilded white metal and is not hallmarked.

I'm afraid that the Australian War Memorial has simply been given bad information.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks, I figured it was hard to ID something from just a description and/or there might be some more info out there now on these. 18 Karat Gold? It is somewhat heavy and bright with no corrosion but I had no idea. Must have been one h*ll of a donation! :jumping::jumping::jumping: . I picked this up from George Petersen about 12-15 years ago for $75. He had no idea what it was, and neither did I, but I liked it. Wow 18 Karat, that just blows me away. :speechless1:

I can't find any reference that gives much real information about these. I don't know how many were made or issued, but the gold ones were the top class. They must be quite scarce. Oddly enough, I don't see too many bronze ones, either. But yours definitely looks like gold. Mine is gilt, and it doesn't have the same luster at all.

Tim

• 11 years later...

Turkish Aeronautics Assosiation (Türk Tayyare Cemiyeti) Medals awarded between 1925-1944 

source: www.kokpit.aero

32     Medal decorated with diamonds

874    Gold

1.469    Silver

2.531   Bronze

4.906    Total

madalya-6-680x400.jpg

Türk Tayyare Cemiyeti Murassa.jpg

Medals decorated with diamonds which were awarded to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and the first Turkish woman pilot Sabiha Gökçen. (Exibited at the Anıtkabir Museum)

Atatürk ve Sabiha Gökçen’e ait .jpg

Edited by demir

• 3 weeks later...