News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Merchant Marine Medals

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

To the unsung heros of the Merchant Marine:

1. Merchant Marine - Atlantic War Zone Medal Obverse:

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all folks :beer:

Hi Darrell,

Just wanted to thank you for posting these. I joined the Merchant Marine after High School so have always had an interest in these. Probably should have started a collection at some point but never did. Perhaps someday... :rolleyes:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Guest Darrell

Hi Hendrik. Do you have a closeup picture of Obverse and Reverse of each of the above medals? Can I ask where you got them? Thanks.

Hi Hendrik. Do you have a closeup picture of Obverse and Reverse of each of the above medals? Can I ask where you got them? Thanks.

There are many fakes/restrikes of all merchant marine medals about. As most of the medals were authorised long after the original ribbon-only awards were approved, most of them are "after market" medals anyway. Like French awards, and as with most unnamed unnumbered stuff, you are awarded a medal, now trot out and buy it yourself. This opens up a very gray area as to what is legitimate and what isn't, what is original and what is a fake. Only with the Mariner's Medal and the distinguished service medal are these distinctions clear.

Guest Darrell

There are many fakes/restrikes of all merchant marine medals about. As most of the medals were authorised long after the original ribbon-only awards were approved, most of them are "after market" medals anyway. Like French awards, and as with most unnamed unnumbered stuff, you are awarded a medal, now trot out and buy it yourself. This opens up a very gray area as to what is legitimate and what isn't, what is original and what is a fake. Only with the Mariner's Medal and the distinguished service medal are these distinctions clear.

No doubt about that Ed. Just like the NASA medals (or NACA if you will), some pretty convincing fakes of the more rare medals (currently offered on e-bay).

The ones I posted are (obviously) current strikes purchased via a pitance. However, the "medal" versions of these were not issued until 1988, so they would not be much different from their original (if 1988 is original) counterparts.

However, Hendrik's selection maybe from an earlier period (possibly wartime). Only closeups will clear that up as the originals were identifiable with trademark initials of the designer. :beer: