News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Merchant Marine Medals

Guest Darrell

Only with the Mariner's Medal and the distinguished service medal are these distinctions clear.

There are restrikes of these out there. one guy sells them on ebay with I believe a GRACO marking.

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are restrikes of these out there. one guy sells them on ebay with I believe a GRACO marking.

Yes, there are restrikes, fakes, etc. of these. What I was trying to say is that only these were awarded as contemporaneous medals and -- as Darrell remarked -- in specimens where we can distinguish between more- and less-real medals. This is especially the case with the Mariner's Medal, where I've been told there are some especially nasty fakes about.

Guest Darrell

Yes, there are restrikes, fakes, etc. of these. What I was trying to say is that only these were awarded as contemporaneous medals and -- as Darrell remarked -- in specimens where we can distinguish between more- and less-real medals. This is especially the case with the Mariner's Medal, where I've been told there are some especially nasty fakes about.

Has anyone seen original versions of these rare medals for sale? What do they command for price?

Edited by Darrell

I know nothing about them, but they're nice looking gongs!

Our (Cdn) merchant seamen got no recognition for services such as the Murmansk run until 2 or 3 years ago when the government, reluctantly, recognized them as equivalent to RN or RCNavy service, so they can now apply for the Atlantic Star, Pacific Star and War medal. Plus, for all 300-500 of them still alive, a miserly pension!

Pretty disgraceful, but the medals issued would/will be the regular British/Commonwealth WWII medals, even if late strikings, so the fake/civvvy issue question doesn't arrive.

(Footnote: My late father-in-law flew in the Ferry Command from 1940-1945 and I persuaded him to apply for his entitlement: 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, CVSM and War medal.)

peter

The Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Medal

[attachmentid=40815] [attachmentid=40816]

Hi Hendrik,

Also to any others who are intro'd... here's a link to an excellent site listing those awarded the MM Distinguished Service Medal. I think it's a great read on this one.

http://www.usmm.org/heroes.html

As a general comment, I had found an article a while back, I believe on an actual MM site which states that those who had served in the MM and were awarded medals, and/or their next of kin had to pay for their medals to the tune of at least in some cases $20 per!

I feel this is ludicrous and an absolute insult to these men who served their country in wartime or in war zones. It used to be (I believe) that both the coast guard as well as at least parts of the MM were placed under the Department of the Navy during time of war. These guys suffered horribly in both world wars and did a tremendous service in getting supplies to the armies as well as keeping civilian populations fed. They kept the tide moving in the favor of the allies. And then for our government to say these vets or their families have to pay for their medals is an absolute travesty. I'm simply astonished at the utter stupidity of governments in general much of the time. I'm actually in the MM so am doubly insulted. I've never served in times of war but I very much feel for those who have. Without the MM things may not have gone quite as well for the allies as they did. Think of the troops transported on liners. Think of all the fuel, ammo, guns, tanks, planes, all and sundry of various equipment transported all over the planet by these guys in ships that in some cases probably should have been long since scrapped. Some of the original Liberty ships actually had a flaw in their design that under certain types of stresses they would literally split in two and quickly sink. These were later corrected in the next generation of vessels. But these guys just did amazing things.

They are definitely unsung heroes who deserve a great deal more respect and recognition than they've ever gotten or probably ever will receive. I personally salute my brothers and sisters in the MM... long may they sail with the wind at their backs and in calm seas.

Dan :cheers:

Here are cards that were issued to seaman.

Hi Coastie,

Wow! Never knew about these... beautiful pieces in their own right and with the matching ribbon bar. Very impressive. :love::love::jumping::jumping: And also named to the same individual. Just beautiful! A terrific set there and one to be proud of.

Many thanks for posting those. :beer:

... closeup picture of Obverse and Reverse of each of the above medals? Can I ask where you got them?

Only the MSM has a maker's mark : LIGI on the back of the suspension (Lordship Industries, if I'm not mistaken). The DSM and Mariners' Medal have no markings at all that I could find. I believe them to be post-WWII restrikes, quite possibly only some 10 - 20 years old though well-made.

A friend of mine in Chicago "found" them for me locally but I've no clue where he actually bought them.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Beautiful medals.

I have seen a number of British and American MM groups with a Russian "Murmansk" medal. Does anyone have any information about it?

I think there was an Irish (Republic) one too.

Hi Coastie,

Wow! Never knew about these... beautiful pieces in their own right and with the matching ribbon bar. Very impressive. :love::love::jumping::jumping: And also named to the same individual. Just beautiful! A terrific set there and one to be proud of.

Many thanks for posting those. :beer:

Here are this Gentlemen's Certificates. As I understand it the man let Czechosolvakia before the war started, tried to join the Navy but they wouldn't take him because he had poor/no english so he joined the MM

Edited by coastie

Congratulations on an excellent coverage of the Merchant Marine Medals. These are rarely seen, largely because they are mostly rather recent (30 May 1988) in their issue.

I was fortunate to pick up the WWII effects of Merchant Marine/Maritine Service Ensign Charles Bowers, to include his theatre ribbons. During the war only ribbons were issued as no medals had been struck. It wasn't until recently that the medals were produced, and authorized for issue to include WWII.

Keep up the good work! Jack Angolia

• 3 months later...

Well ... another one just created. Designed in 2005, and manufactured in 2006.

9. MERCHANT MARINE - OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT MEDAL

Obverse:

Well ... another one just created. Designed in 2005, and manufactured in 2006.

9. MERCHANT MARINE - OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT MEDAL

Hi Darrell,

Really love :love: that one! :jumping::jumping: Makes me wish I was active. But not a whole lotta water up here in North Dakota. Was different in the old days in Florida but those days are looooong gone I'm afraid. :P:beer:

She's a beaut! Love that liner coming over the horizon superimposed over the ships wheel. Very nice design. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Dan

She's a beaut! Love that liner coming over the horizon superimposed over the ships wheel. Very nice design. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yep. I find these guys very appealing. Amazing that some of the US Medal designs are so god awful, yet many are very pleasing to the eyes ... and still very cheap. :beer:

• 5 months later...
    Guest Darrell

10. MERCHANT MARINE - Mariner's Medal

*BACKGROUND*

The Merchant Marine played a large role in the convoy operations in the Atlantic during World War 2. More than 215,000 officers and men served in the Merchant Marine during the Second World War. Of this number, 6,836 died while in service. While some of these deaths were not combat related, in most cases Merchant Mariners - all of whom were volunteers - sacrificed their lives along side their comrades in the Armed Forces.

Because the Merchant Marine was not considered a branch of the Armed Forces, the Purple Heart was not available to these heros. To solve this dilemma the Mariner's Medal was established by an Act of Congress on 10 May 1943.

Awarded only to members of the Merchant Marine, the Mariner's Medal recognizes Seamen who were killed or wounded as a direct result of conflict against an opposing armed force. 6,635 Mariner's Medals were awarded for service in World War 2. All further awards of the Mariner's Medal were suspended on 30 June 1956.

Designed by Paul Manship, subsequent awards of the medal are represented by 5/16th inch gold stars affixed to both the suspension ribbon and the ribbon bar.

The following Mariner's Medal is World War 2 issue complete with Wrap Brooch and the unique fold out case with dark blue velvet and satin interior.

These cases were also used for the Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Medal and the Merchant Marine Meritorious Service Medal.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

a. Medal Obverse.

*NOTE* On Original Mariner's Medals a small triangle separates "United" and "States". Reproductions has asmall dot. Also on originals the designer's intials "P.M." (Paul Manship), are below the wreath, to either side of the cuff.