News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Snake buckle belt

TIA - an unusual belt. The open carrying of the cartridges was mainly the British cavalry in the Boer War - but the belts

tended to be part canvas. There were just so many Countries with different styles that we must hope that someone can make

a positive identification.

With regard to the buckle - to me - this just does does not look right ? I am very happy to be corrected, but with this snake, the end

is not laying flat and would therefore stick into the body. The right side appears to have been made to take a lug - in which case the opposite

side would have closed over to hold it in place. I would conjecture that the 'male ' side has been replaced with the snake - look at the

stitching and you will see the 'male' side has a much more open, hand stitch.

We will have to see what other members' have to say. Mervyn

• Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dave,

No I was not able to find more snakes or information about those snakebucklebelt except on this great forum. Still wondering where it's origins come from.

Jef

Hello William,

Thank you for showing the '14 Pattern equipment with the snake buckle. By the way, I have several water bottles in my collection but never saw a waterbottle like yours. Is this a regular standard waterbottle?

kind regards,

Jef

Hello Jef

The bottle is not an official pattern. Bottles of this type were purchased in quantity by the British authorities from Canada to make up shortfalls in the production of the standard pattern. They were made by the Aluminium Goods Company and the few I have seen are dated 1914 or 1915 under the felt. This one is 1914. They are often seen in photographs, particularly during the first half of the war.

Regards,

William

Edited by William1

Hello Jef

The bottle is not an official pattern. Bottles of this type were purchased in quantity by the British authorities from Canada to make up shortfalls in the production of the standard pattern. They were made by the Aluminium Goods Company and the few I have seen are dated 1914 or 1915 under the felt. This one is 1914. They are often seen in photographs, particularly during the first half of the war.

Regards,

William

Hello William,

Well that explains the not official pattern waterbottle. Thank you for explanation.

Jef

• 1 month later...
    • 6 years later...