News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steinhauer & Luck Spanienkreuz

Jacques

Steinhauer & L?ck is one of the few firm which manufactured and provided spanish crosses from 1939 to 1945. They used several MM during the war period.

Generally S&L crosses are recognising by the swords grip form, hinge & pin's forms, and eagles details.

Here are few samples of crosses from this manufacturer with the mark "4".

here is what I think a late variant.

Obverse: the eagles have the same form except the swastika which is plain (no cut out branches).

Reverse: the pin's form changed thus the hinge (barrel type). the hook is thin and open to left side.

the MM "4" still remains on the pin.

Another sample of a "late war" S&L cross. this one is a silver w/o cross. the plain swastica is more visible, thus the die used (not cut swords). same hinge, pin & hook as the previous bronze cross.

Jacques - great crosses an photos of each. Had you not said otherwise, I would have walked by that last one thinking is was a repro: poor finish, Floch-looking pin, and one eagle poorly placed. Thanks for the education!

Scott

Jacques - great crosses an photos of each. Had you not said otherwise, I would have walked by that last one thinking is was a repro: poor finish, Floch-looking pin, and one eagle poorly placed. Thanks for the education!

Scott

This latest is not of the best quality, this is why I think it is more post 1943 (I can't really dated it) than early manufacture. I didn't have it in hand but I suppose it in Tombac, the silver colour mostly disappeared. Here is a gold one, directly from the family obtained. it is unmarked but retains the S&L characteristics.

Beautiful awards. If I ever get tired of PABs I know what I will collect next. Thanks for showing them.

Don't be too hurry .... Keep busy with the PAB's, there are so many variants to collect, then jump onto the numbered badges if it is not already done.

Don't be too hurry .... Keep busy with the PAB's, there are so many variants to collect, then jump onto the numbered badges if it is not already done.

One could almost get the impression that you don't want me to collect these...... :o

• 2 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

I may have missed the answer in my forum search, but did S&L ever mark their Spanish Crosses "L/16"? The hardware on the back doesn't look anything like those pictured above.

Scott

Edited by Scott