News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"For Excellent Shooting" -- RKKA Badge

Here's a badge I added to my shooting awards collection/box o' badges this trip. I also found a couple of decent tsarist shooting awards along the way.

I can't account for the pitting on the enamel of this award. I'm not sure I've ever seen the like. Even with that, and the missing enamel, I like it a lot.

I'm of the opinion that the hanger must have pulled off at some time. It looks like the connecting loops were just twisted out of ordinary chain links. I can't find it in a reference book, so I don't even know if that's the correct hanger.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

I've got an Osoaviakhim Marksman badge with the same "hot milk burned to the pan" overcooked white bubbly enamel.

[attachmentid=40903]

The red is as nice as any Order but the white... bleagh!

<<This is the dad of them all an imperial shooting badge in silver... Chris>>

I'm not sure that's the dad of them all, but it's a darn nice example. I'd sure like to have the two silver variants I passed on as too expensive ... in 2002.

We have a thread on Imperial Shooting Awards at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5989 . Why not share this over there. We don't have one of these silver variants over there yet. I'll post a couple more Imperial shooting awards in the next day or two.

Chris, that's another lovely example from your collection.

Meanwhile, regarding the ""hot milk burned to the pan" look (great description, btw), none of these show it. Do you think it could have been something simple like cooking the enamel too long?

Good topic.

Chuck

<<This is the dad of them all an imperial shooting badge in silver... Chris>>....

I'm sure you are correct on this Chuck...I used it as a figure of speech as these early examples showed that the Soviets did not invent the magnificent designs on their awards but were carrying on an imperial tradition.

I saw a bronze version of the silver badge some time ago but passed on it as I am not an imperial collector...to scared I guess to get hooked on another avenue which would leave the pocket book more empty and the wife more upset that there is no food in the house.

Regards

Chris

<<This is the dad of them all an imperial shooting badge in silver... Chris>>....

I'm sure you are correct on this Chuck...I used it as a figure of speech as these early examples showed that the Soviets did not invent the magnificent designs on their awards but were carrying on an imperial tradition.

I saw a bronze version of the silver badge some time ago but passed on it as I am not an imperial collector...to scared I guess to get hooked on another avenue which would leave the pocket book more empty and the wife more upset that there is no food in the house.

Regards

Chris

OK Chris, I meant no offense. Sometimes subtleties are just lost on me.

I have three of the bronze variations, including one I just brought back. I also brought back another Imperial shooting award pocket watch (with the crossed rifles engraved on the cover and inscribed inside) and two very elaborate Imperial shooting badges. I'll post them over there later on.

Chuck

Very nice badges every one.

Iam going to add my NKVD Marksman Medal to this thread as it seems appropriate.

I dont know weather it is genuine, I bought it off ebay as unissued medal (I might be opening a can of worms here) but it certainly a nice medal.

Oh and when find wich box my Osoaviakhim Marksman badge is in I will post it ;)

Enjoy :jumping:

Guest Darrell

The NKVD Marksman Medal is interesting. Is that particular award documented anywhere? Does anyone recall seeing a post about an award similar to this? I've never seen one of these in the wild. Has anyone else?

Chuck

Hi chuck ... you thinking about this?

This looks like a classic fantasy piece

Chris

I'm not one to cast aspersions on others' pieces and I claim no expertise myself. I will say that I seem to recall a discussion (may not have been here, though) to that effect regarding this particular badge. As for my memory, well, 'nuff said.

It would suffice for me to see this one in a catalog somewhere. NKVD awards are fairly well known and documented.

Chuck

I'm not one to cast aspersions on others' pieces and I claim no expertise myself. I will say that I seem to recall a discussion (may not have been here, though) to that effect regarding this particular badge. As for my memory, well, 'nuff said.

It would suffice for me to see this one in a catalog somewhere. NKVD awards are fairly well known and documented.

Chuck

Chuck

Are you a diplomat?

chris

Hi chuck ... you thinking about this?

Hi Darrell

No, the RKKA 20-Year medal is pretty well known. You can find a similar design on the badge in post #4, of course. I'm simply asking about the provenance or documentation of the existence of the badge in post #13. I have no desire to impugn someone's item that they have taken the time to share with us. I'm just curious.

Chuck

Guest Darrell

Hi Darrell

No, the RKKA 20-Year medal is pretty well known. You can find a similar design on the badge in post #4, of course. I'm simply asking about the provenance or documentation of the existence of the badge in post #13. I have no desire to impugn someone's item that they have taken the time to share with us. I'm just curious.

Chuck

I was just refering to the design. Looks like a match (soldier pointing the gun).