News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I need help with this one here.Is it authentic and what was it for`? I?d appreciate any help on this.....

If some pics show details in red color this is due to my camera.Originally these parts are made of brown leather.

Rosenberg,

It looks like an officer's shako from one of the Prussian line Maschingewehr Abteilungen. These were relatively small units and items from them are highly collected. They were in existence from 1901 until very early in the war, when reorganization of the MG troops made them redundant. It looks fine from what I can see. The silk lining is missing, but this is a fairly minor detail.

Chip

I agree, this is a very nice and hard to find original tschako. It is somewhat misshapen but that can be dealt with by reblocking it. The silk part of the liner attached to the top edge of the leather. Here a pic of another officers tschako lining. The cypher has been hidden. Notice there is no silk lining on the brims as on a spiked helmet. Normally the lining would be cream, yellow, green or brown. White linings were the sign of royalty, but not all royals had them.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Rosenberg,

The officer's shako would have the same general design of the Prussian eagle on the helmet plate, but normally of a nicer finish and with a pierced or voided crown. We cannot see what the crown on the eagle looks like, because it is obscured by the field badge in your photos. I was assuming that it is an officers.

I am a long time collector and pretty much out of touch with current prices (living in the past). All I could tell you is that something this rare would be several thousands of dollars. The only way to know for sure these days is to run something on an auction and see what the market price really is. From what I have seen, setting your own price often leads to you getting what you ask for, but losing a whole lot more. There seem to be few collectors with spending limits!

Chip

Rosenberg,

The officer's shako would have the same general design of the Prussian eagle on the helmet plate, but normally of a nicer finish and with a pierced or voided crown. We cannot see what the crown on the eagle looks like, because it is obscured by the field badge in your photos. I was assuming that it is an officers.

Chip

Thanks again,Chip. I am surprised by its value! I tried to get a picture of the eagle,but it s impossible.Can you provide a picture of what an officer?s crown looks like?

Regards

Rosenberg,

If you have the shako, can't you just pull the field badge out and take a picture? I don't own a Prussian officer's shako, but you can look at one here... http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/ There's a Prussian J?ger officer's helmet on the left about 3/4 down the page. This is a very similar eagle to the one that would be on your helmet. Notice the "holes" in the crown on the eagle plate. This is what I was refering to earlier.

Chip

Appreciating your help very much,Sir! The field badge seems to be sewn onto the base,I can?t really move it.However,from a strange angle I can see the points of interest on the crown and it is identical to the one your link and description led me to!

Kindest Regards

Rosenberg,

Normally, the field badge is attached to a looped wire that is pushed down into a slot just behind the eagle's head.

Anyway, except for the missing silk liner and the bit of reshaping that has to be done, you have yourself one of the most desirable shakos that was worn in the German army (an officer from an elite unit). Congratulations!

Chip

After having shown this on other forums and receiving not really comparable comments I must state my respect for Chip and Mr. Murphy! Thanks alot guys. I have one final question regarding the Reichskokade on one side-what is with the other? I had people complaining the black one on the other side not being ok. Chip,here is what you wanted to see...

Rosenberg,

Well, that appears to be the correct officer's style eagle. I don't see anything but the Reichskokarde in your photos posted here. What are these other people refering to? Sending you a PM regarding what I found out.

Chip