News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some British Cap Badges

Hello Harribobs,

Thank you for your message. Considering it's age and the terrible times they went through, I'm afraid I cannot see any marks on it. Normally the makers mark is on the fix pin, I guess(?) but these pin's are broken off.

best regards,

Jef

Jef, that was a reply to Pat, he thought the makers name was Irwin

see post eight for the pic

:D cheers

chris

• 2 months later...

Hello gents,

Just got a couple new ones on a trip to Vancouver Island. First up is a Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers cap badge. This is a cool design with the horse in front of the lightning (I assume to represent the electricians in the group) and the two colours are always nice.

Cheers,

Pat

Here is the other badge I picked up, what I think is a British Grenadiers cap badge but I could be mistaken. I also am not sure if this is ww1 or ww2. The maker is F.E. Woodward, B'Ham (Birmingham). This is an extremely well made die-struck copper piece and any help on ID and dating it are welcome.

Cheers,

Pat

• 1 month later...
    • 4 months later...

Hi there,

Had a couple nice finds at the last antique show in Vernon BC and picked up an early Gordon Highlanders cap badge with the "By Dand" separated, which I think places it in ww2 territory, but any help on dating it would be great (can't upload pics since the site upgrade, hopfully soon!). I also picked up a "Liverpool Scottish- The Kings" cap badge with maker mark of "J.R.Gaunt, London." Mostly Canadian cap badges show up at these shows but the odd Brit or Aussie one shows up (just picked up a ww2 RAAF Royal Australian Air Force cap badge, how rare are these?).

Thanks for looking and any comments are great!

Cheers,

Pat

Here is the other badge I picked up, what I think is a British Grenadiers cap badge but I could be mistaken. I also am not sure if this is ww1 or ww2. The maker is F.E. Woodward, B'Ham (Birmingham). This is an extremely well made die-struck copper piece and any help on ID and dating it are welcome.

Cheers,

Pat

This is Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt), in wear from about 1902 until the 50's - there were also versions with the Victorian crown & QE II's St Edwards crown.

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th City of London Regimet (Royal Fusiliers) of the Territrial Force also wore this badge.

Rather than copper, this badges should be in brass or "gilding metal".

Edited by leigh kitchen

Hello gents,

Just got a couple new ones on a trip to Vancouver Island. First up is a Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers cap badge. This is a cool design with the horse in front of the lightning (I assume to represent the electricians in the group) and the two colours are always nice.

Cheers,

Pat

Post about 1947 (I think) Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers (Kings crown version which was preplaced by the St Edwards crown version in the 50's).

Hello all,

My thread on Canadian and other Commonwealth cap badges is getting lenghthy, so I decided to put all my purely Brit cap badges on this topic. I really don't know much about the British cap badges (Canadians are my thing) so any info, no matter how small it may seem, is helpful to me (ie. ww1 or ww2, info on regiments etc).

First up is my fave, an Armoured Corps cap badge with "Fear Naught" written on it. Any ideas on this badge?

Thanks,

Pat

As worn by the British Royal Tank Regiment, WWII - 1950's (when the crown was changed to the St Edwards crown), but this is cast not diestruck, indicating that it is locally made because of a shortage of the proper die struck items, or a fake.

I have one of these that appears to be a genuine lcal made job, the silver colouring being almost non existant now, revealing the brass metal underneath.

Next up is my Leeds Rifles, Westyorkshire Regt. cap badge. Any ideas on the approxamite date for this and the other badges are very helpful.

Thanks,

Pat

Again, a cast version of the badge so locally made or fake. A TF unit formed by the amalgamation of the 7th & 8th Battalions, I can't remember when though at the moment.

Here we have my Suffolk Regt cap badge. I think this is a ww2 issue. I like the two colour finish on these badges. Again, any info is great on these.

Pat

Suffolk Regimet, 1902 - 1950's, when the St Edwards crown version replaced it. It is the second pattern of the regiments regular battalions Kings crown badge, it was preceded by a pattern with a different, 2-turret castle which was on issue for a very short while - the Suffolks & 3 other infantry regiments had to change their badges so that the pattern of castle they used to represent the battle honour of "Gibralter" was the one displayed on the Great Seal of Gibralter - this 3 tower version without a flag on top of the central tower.

Forgot - just a a little unusual in that this badge has north/south lug fittings rather than a slider or east/west lugs, I'm not sure if I've seen a Suffolk with n/s lugs before.

Edited by leigh kitchen

One more for today, this is a ww1 British artillery cap badge I believe. It is broken on the reverse, but a nice one nonetheless. Can anyone confirm the ww1 estimate?

Thanks,

Pat

A Royal Artillery Officers Service Dress "bronzed" badge, the blades or prongs on the back broken off as is so often the case with this type of fitting. Kings crown, so about 1902 - 1950's.

Do not clean this badge up in order to remove the brownish finish - it's meant to look like this, it isn't dirty so don't for gawds sake stick it in a bucket of acid to get it nice n' shiny...............

Edited by leigh kitchen
    typed 1952 instead of 1902

Badge 5, no space between spokes of wheel, wheel completely closed

[attachmentid=41827]

The unvoided wheel shows this badge to be a Royal Artillery WWI brass economy badge, worn 1916 - 1919.

In theory it's different to the standard badge not just because of the solid wheel, but because it will be made of brass, not the very similar gilding metal used to make the "normal" badges.

That's what Kipling & King say anyway, but practically speaking there's no obvious way to tell the two metals apart, tho' brass tends to be yellowish colour.

Hello Harribobs,

Thank you for your message. Considering it's age and the terrible times they went through, I'm afraid I cannot see any marks on it. Normally the makers mark is on the fix pin, I guess(?) but these pin's are broken off.

best regards,

Jef

These little metal manufacturers name plates are'nt usually found on Other Ranks cap badges, but it's not unknown - eg badges of the units of the Royal Naval Division & some yeomanry regiments - in this case it's on an officers badge, Firmin was a prolific maker of British badges.

The actually wording - "Frmin London" may help to date the badge, but I can't remember the details offhand, & I doubt it will pin it's manufacture down to a few years or so, only to decades.

Thank you Leigh for your great insights on these badges. It is not often you find someone of your precise knowledge of cap badges! I buy mostly Canadian regimental cap badges so your expertise on the British regiments is very helpful. Hopefully I can post my new badges soon and I can receive more of your comments on the badges.

Cheers and thanks again,

Pat

• 2 years later...

Post 41, Intelligence Corps badge, the Corps was formed in 1940, the design of the badge was sealed that year, worn into the 1950?s, the St Edwards Crown version being sealed in 1955.

Post 42, South Wales Borderers badge, it was sealed for wear in 1896 & continued in wear until the 1950?s.

Post 43, KOSB, the crown dates it to the reigns of King Edward VII ? King George VI.

Post 44, The Liverpool Scottish from the period when that unit was the 10th Battalion of The King?s Liverpool Regiment, worn from about 1908 ? 1938, they became part of the Cameron Highlanders in 1937 & the badge changed.

This version with the horse part of the badge struck separately from the rest of the badge is claimed to be a sergeants badge (stated by Kipling & King & by John Gaylor).

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest charlie m

Dscf0158.jpg

You' re welcome Pat, always.

Jef :beer:

hi jef ,nice badges here are 2 of my artillery badges notice the renforcing just below the crown

Edited by charlie m