News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Canadian Navy ww2 Uniform

Hello gentlemen,

I finally got some pics of my ww2 RCN Lt Commander Uniform from Mr. J.O. Aitkens. The jacket, pants and cap are all present in this set, with the pants and jacket with personalized tags intact. It has the 39-45 medal, CVSM, Italy Star, 39-45 Star, Defense Medal and a long service medal I believe ribbons attached to the uniform. I have tried to research but come up fairly emptyhanded, so if anyone can recommend a good site to research this gentleman that would be great. I think he was on the Assiniboine, but I am not sure. I got this from a local dealer who knew he was on one of the large "A" named Canadian Battleships or Destroyer. He kept his cap badge for personal heirlooms, but I was lucky enough to acquire this on VE day 2005. Any comments on this uniform and the Lieutanant Commander Aitkens that wore it are very welcome!

Cheers,

Pat

Here is the tag from Gieves Ltd manufacturer, with a very faint date I think is 2.3.45 or 5.8.45 but it could be anything close to that, the first number is very blurred. Late war anyways. Any info on this maker?

Come to think of it, it does kind of look like a "5" for the second number in the date, so it is ?/5/45 as far as I can see. Here are the medal ribbons on the jacket, all non-glowing (like everything on the jacket).

Pat

And the tag for the pants, also made by Gieves, Plymouth and with a date of 6.6.45. and the full J.O.Aitkens name. Again, any help on finding out about this sailor is extremely great!

Thanks,

Pat

and the last pic for now, the inside of the Scully hat. Please leave your comments and any ideas on researching the person who earned this uniform of Liutenant Commander J.O. Aitkens. I think his name was Jonathan or Johnathon or some spelling of that (all the dealer could remember! This was my good dealer too, not the OTHER dealer :angry: ).

Anyways, can't wait for what you have to say about this fine grouping (now all it needs is a picture and the story!)

Cheers,

Pat

If you run a Google search on "John Ormond Aitkens" there are a couple of postings given for post-war. He was a Lieutenant(E) on the Magnificent (aircraft carrier) 14/01/1948, and the Ontario (cruiser) 21/01/1949.

There can't have been two J.O. Aitkens in the R.C.N.

Thanks Michael,

The dealer told me he stayed in the Navy until the '50's, so the two dates make sense post war, but he was definitely active in ww2. When I get a few moments I will do a more thorough search.

Pat

Hi there,

An update on this gentleman, I did a few more searches and did find one more tidbit of info when I did a search on google for "J.O. Aitkens" and found a report on the 2005 Royal Military Colleges Club of Canada Annual General Meeting. If you click on the "Html" version it loads instantly. It appears that LtCmdr J.O. Aitkens passed away in early 2005, as he is listed in the deceased column for the year along with Smoky Smith, so I acquired this uniform shortly after his death. His name on the list is followed by a ('40) so I assume this is his year of graduation from the RMC. If Michael or anyone else out there knows more about this great Canadian sailor or a good way besides the standard web searches to find more history about him I would be very grateful. I just want to be able to tell the story behind the uniform. All I know so far is that he was on a large Canadian ship in the mediterranean during ww2 (the ribbon bars attest to this) and rose to Liutenant Commander during the war, and stayed in through the 50's. He is probably John Ormond Aitkens as Michael Johnson pointed out, but if anyone can confirm there was only one J.O. Aitkens that would help also (but highly unlikely that there were more than one).

Thanks again,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gary,

The funny thing is I have a whole bunch of army cap badges, but no Navy! It is basically the only thing missing from the set (besides some more info on the chap) so I would like to get the same cap badge that he had to complete the set. Any help would be welcome,

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Email me at garycain1961@yahoo.com and i will send you pics of what I have.

Cheers!

Gary

Thanks Gary,

The funny thing is I have a whole bunch of army cap badges, but no Navy! It is basically the only thing missing from the set (besides some more info on the chap) so I would like to get the same cap badge that he had to complete the set. Any help would be welcome,

Cheers,

Pat

• 4 months later...

Hello again,

Turned out Gary's cap badges were British, so I am still on the lookout for a Canadian ww2 Naval Cap Badge to complete this set. Also, if anyone has more info on this sailor please leave your comments. All comments are welcome :beer:

Pat

• 4 years later...

Yet another Canadian topic that could be moved to the new Canadian section. Again, I thank Nick or whoever can move these topics in advance, I think you'll agree that these are better suited to the new section.

Cheers!

Pat

Here is the tag from Gieves Ltd manufacturer, with a very faint date I think is 2.3.45 or 5.8.45 but it could be anything close to that, the first number is very blurred. Late war anyways. Any info on this maker?

Gieves have been a pre-eminent naval tailor for many years. Located at No. 1 Savile Row, they are now Gieves and Hawkes, and can be found on the web at http://www.gievesandhawkesmilitary.com/

What could be more appropriate than to get your cap badge from them?

Best,

Hugh

Hello again,

Turned out Gary's cap badges were British, so I am still on the lookout for a Canadian ww2 Naval Cap Badge to complete this set. Also, if anyone has more info on this sailor please leave your comments. All comments are welcome beer.gif

Pat

Hi Pat

Nice score

Try here they have a couple

http://www.germanmil...ons/CanRCN.html

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

• 1 year later...

J.O.Aitkens was my father. He graduated from RMC and did serve on HMCS Magnificent, Assiniboine. His final posting before retirement in 1965 ws from Esquimalt. I have much of my father's photo's/service memorabilia. I am curious as to how you received his uniform. I probably have his cap badge. I live in Kelowna also.