News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 CANADIAN MEMORIAL CROSS 1ST BN. KIA PASSCHENDAELE

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

I spotted this on Ebay, I have always liked the design of this cross, but have a couple of questions for our Canadian members as they might be more knowledgable about the item in question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-CANADIAN-MEMORIAL-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Question 1, Were the crosses issued named??

Question 2, Does the engraving to the rear look good to your eyes, to mine it appears un-professionaly done,

but, maybe it was done localy??

Any comments would be welcome.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Kev

from our Veterans Affairs web site:

"Memorial Cross

The Memorial Cross, the gift of Canada, was issued as a memento of personal loss and sacrifice on the part of widows and mothers of Canadian sailors and soldiers who laid down their lives for their country during the war; its description was as follows:

"The Cross will be a Cross patonce in silver suspended by a purple ribbon; at the end of the upright a crown; at the foot, and at the centre, within a wreath of laurel, the royal cypher "G.R.I." It will be engraved with the number, rank and name of the soldiers commemorated."

(emphasis mine)

The engraving STYLE is correct - tall, thinnish, square lettering. I wonder if the rough quality is due to the length of the name & trying to squeeze it in. Michael johnson will have a better opininon.

We just had one sold for $70, 000 (L30 000) because it was to Sir fredrick banting, the chap who co-invented Insulin, but in general they are much undervalued items unless with the medals of the chap killed. I've already posted her on the subject of the first issued (last week) to the husband of a Canadian soldier.

here's a shot of one so you can see the ribbon - it's a loop for neck wear by the mother or widow.

Peter

I'm not sure on this one. As Peter says, thestyle looks correct, but I have concerns about the irregularity. I will try to post a scan of one of my Crosses for comparison.

It isn't unusual to find the Crosses in the U.K., as a very high proportion of the C.E.F. were British immigrants, and their mothers, if living, would have been sent one, as well as one going to the widow.

I'm not sure on this one. As Peter says, thestyle looks correct, but I have concerns about the irregularity. I will try to post a scan of one of my Crosses for comparison.

It isn't unusual to find the Crosses in the U.K., as a very high proportion of the C.E.F. were British immigrants, and their mothers, if living, would have been sent one, as well as one going to the widow.

Hallo Mike and Peter, :beer:

thank you for your replies, thats just it, the engraving is so sloppy, starting with the number which is off centre, I feel a skilled engraver would have done it much better, the first number 6 is smaller than the second number 6, to my mind even with such a long name it could have been done with Number, and Rank on the top line, and then the name underneath, just to be asthetic, I have to say quite frankly one would expect a better job, seeing its going to the Mother who has lost a son in the War, surely there would have been some kind of quality control.

Just my two bobs worth.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo Mike and Peter, :beer:

thank you for your replies, thats just it, the engraving is so sloppy, starting with the number which is off centre, I feel a skilled engraver would have done it much better, the first number 6 is smaller than the second number 6, to my mind even with such a long name it could have been done with Number, and Rank on the top line, and then the name underneath, just to be asthetic

Kevin in Deva :beer:

I agree. A professional engraver would have worked it all out before he began. Looks like a local jeweller's job to me.

Here's a couple of examples of engraved crosses.

[attachmentid=42262]

Pte Bellamy's is unusual, as he was serving in he Canadian Militia as part of the Welland Canal Force, and was found drowned. Foul play was suspected, but not proved.

Edited by Michael Johnson

We have just had a change in who is awarded this cross. It is now issued to husbands and I believe also that father's are about, or have been included as recipients also. Canada buried it's first woman killed in combat today. May she rest in peace, and may God look after the rest of our soldiers.

Guest Darrell

For comparison, here is my wife's Grandmother's Cross (Inherited after she passed away some time ago).

Edited by Darrell