News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Red Bible Has Arrived!

Hi all,

I hope it's okay, me putting this here but I just had to share the news. After selling a few of my extra's and after a loooooooong wait, and after feeling I was the only person on the face of the planet who collected Soviet awards and didn't have it... I finally managed to purchase a new copy of McDaniel and Schmitt's book on Soviet Orders and Medals.

And the best part of all... it arrived today!!!! :P:D:love::love::jumping::jumping:

Haven't been able to so much as crack the covers on it yet... been too busy with work and various other things. But I'm about at the point of being able to dive in and start devouring it.

It's much thicker than I imaged and just by the look of it it's well worth the price. I can't wait to start studying it.

I know to alot of you who have had it for a while it's probably not a big deal. But to me, on this day and at this time this is cause for celebration. I'm half tempted to run up and buy a bottle of champaign I'm so excited! It's just been so long in coming... was beginning to doubt it would ever happen.

I'm so glad I was finally able to get this and I just know it's going to help me in my Soviet collecting well beyond it's price.

I know alot of you have probably been keeping your fingers crossed that I'd manage to get this and for that I am deeply grateful. :beer:

Now... the next item on the agenda... that Epson scanner! All good things come to those who wait.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

• Replies 150
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool .... Not too many days go by I'm not browsing in its depths. :beer:

Hi Darrell,

I've got to agree... "depths" :P is definitely an appropriate word to use... it's definitely a thick and heavy one! But that's the way I like them... all the more to look through again and again. :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan,

I'm glad that you finally got one. You will find it to be most useful. :jumping: Enjoy!!! :jumping:

:beer: Doc

Hi Doc,

Many thanks! Definitely looks even better than all the pics I've seen... well worth the wait, all the pacing and fretting and knashing of teeth! :lol:

Hey, as an aside... the "eaglettes" have landed. I need to get with you and send over some pics of goodies for you to choose from. :D And the Belgian one should be here later this week.

Thanks so much for everything!!!! :beer:

Congrats, :beer:

Order of Victory

Many thanks! :) It's definitely a day of Victory!!!! Perhaps I should design a new award for the occassion! :cheeky::D Of course then they'd "have" to put out another edition! :rolleyes::lol:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I remember the day in '97 when it came out and Igor called me up to TELL me to get one...

(the closest reaction I can approximate to was for those of you old enough to remember the opening day first showing of the original "Star Wars" movie in 1977)

and I've been telling all and sundry the same ever since. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Anyone who intends to collect Soviet awards must have one. :beer:

At some point, the unsold copies are going to disappear at long last, and this will be in the "rare out of print book" category.

Anyone who does not have one, should get one. :beer:

For a while, Our Co-Hero Paul McDaniel had a website going with updates and corrections. That seems to have become long, long defunct--alas!! Everybody in this field EXCEPT me seems to be in regular and steady contact with Our Co-Hero Paul Schmitt, so perhaps another online supplement can build on the awesome data in their book

using kilobytes instead of more kilograms of pages! :cheeky:

Guest Darrell

For a while, Our Co-Hero Paul McDaniel had a website going with updates and corrections. That seems to have become long, long defunct--alas!! Everybody in this field EXCEPT me seems to be in regular and steady contact with Our Co-Hero Paul Schmitt, so perhaps another online supplement can build on the awesome data in their book.

So I assume that the website no longer exists? Or just isnt updated anymore? I'd like the link if it still exists :jumping:

I remember the day in '97 when it came out and Igor called me up to TELL me to get one...

(the closest reaction I can approximate to was for those of you old enough to remember the opening day first showing of the original "Star Wars" movie in 1977)

At some point, the unsold copies are going to disappear at long last, and this will be in the "rare out of print book" category.

Anyone who does not have one, should get one.

Hi Rick,

I'm definitely old enough and know "exactly" what you mean! :D Both definitely red letter days (no pun intended... well, maybe just a little one! :cheeky: ).

And I also totally agree... in fact they're getting tough to find now. This past fall when I made some sales and thought I could go ahead and order it (before life got in the way! :banger: ) I had searched the web, Amazon, Ebay, sites where it had been sold... but no more. I even went so far as to contact Paul McDaniel from his site and he wrote back and said even he didn't have copies for sale now.

I finally lucked into it over at collectrussia.com (Atlantic Crossroads, Inc.) where they still have them... till they run out that is. And at the issue price and $5 shipping via UPS, or $8 via USPS. I'd actually ordered it last week and have been pacing a trench in my floor ever since waiting for it's arrival. I only wish I could buy a few more and set them aside for that future day when they'll be worth their weight in gold... and with this book that will end up being quite a lot of gold! :D

And I promise Rick... the Epson scanner is now on the top of the "gotta get it" list! :beer:

Dan

This is the best book about Soviet Awards that has ever been published in English.

Yours to discover :beer:

Many thanks! :D Hoping to dive in in about another fifteen minutes when I'm done with work for the day. :D

Thanks! :beer:

Nice purchase, you won't regret it! And for the record, I think this is THE best reference book I have come across for medals full stop. What makes it so nice to dip into is its accessiblity and a lightness of tone - I particularly like the bit where they have a rarity rating for the Order Of Victory - "you'll be lucky"!

McDaniel's site seems to be dormant but due to the proliferation of certificates on collectrussia etc he is still keeping that side of the business going?

Gilbert

Nice purchase, you won't regret it! And for the record, I think this is THE best reference book I have come across for medals full stop. What makes it so nice to dip into is its accessiblity and a lightness of tone - I particularly like the bit where they have a rarity rating for the Order Of Victory - "you'll be lucky"!

McDaniel's site seems to be dormant but due to the proliferation of certificates on collectrussia etc he is still keeping that side of the business going?

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,

Many thanks for the kinds words. :beer: I've had a bit more work pile up along with a few things on here that I had to take care of... pushed me back in my schedule a bit. Going to go rustle up some grub and once that's out of the way then I'm going to dive in and probably not come up for air for several days if I can avoid it... other than work.

And don't think I'd ever manage to be quite that lucky... to be able to get an OOV! I'd be lucky to get a good copy at some point. :love::jumping::jumping:

This has been great though. Ever since I posted earlier I've felt like I've been having a party with ya'll stopping by to have a sip of champaign and join in the celebration. This is just a terrific place and ya'll are the best members a club could hope to have! My hat is off to each and every one of you! :beer::cheers:

Dan

Congrats on your book! I remember getting mine in 2000! It is the best book I have ever seen before or since!

:beer:

Thanks Paul. I just finished dinner... waiting for tonights first ep of Combat! to end and then I'll pop in another tape and then I'm off to spend the evening with "the book". :D Hope Kim doesn't get too jeolous! :cheeky::lol:

Congratulations on the new arrival! Like any other book, not perfect, but darn nice. Try to find time to get some sleep in between your power-lifting exercises with this wonder.

It will indeed be a sad day when the (probably close) moment arrives when these are no longer to be had.

Congratulations on the new arrival! Like any other book, not perfect, but darn nice. Try to find time to get some sleep in between your power-lifting exercises with this wonder.

It will indeed be a sad day when the (probably close) moment arrives when these are no longer to be had.

Hi Ed,

Many thanks! :D Not sure on sleep... I've been told I can sleep when I'm dead... but the reading I need to do now! :cheeky::lol:

Well, I've finally cracked the covers... am up to the Acknowledgements. I figure I'm going to read this from cover to cover and squeeze everything out of it it has to offer. :D

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

So I assume that the website no longer exists? Or just isnt updated anymore? I'd like the link if it still exists :jumping:

Me too! I did not know that such a site existed!!

Paul