News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Red Bible Has Arrived!

Guest Alanirvine

Gentlemen,From time to time PMD's book can be found on eb_ _ also, there is one currently available on Amaz_ _ for $95.00

Alan

• Replies 150
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the shipping went more smoothly for your McDaniel book Dan! :P

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for any good research book on Soviet and TR items myself, and I wish they were easier to come by!

A wonderful trade wouldn't you say Dan (your old friends are safe and sound and in good company) and now you finally have the "bible".

Cheers,

Pat

Welcome to the "club"! :cheers:

There are other Soviet awards books out there, but I don't think that any of them come close to the level of detail or quality of production as the Comprehensive Guide. However, ironically some sell for more though!

Unfortunately, no one has yet to convince PMD (and I've tried) to put out a "second, revised edition." I personally think that he'd make a killing off of it, but no luck...yet...

Dave

Welcome to the "club"! :cheers:

There are other Soviet awards books out there, but I don't think that any of them come close to the level of detail or quality of production as the Comprehensive Guide. However, ironically some sell for more though!

Unfortunately, no one has yet to convince PMD (and I've tried) to put out a "second, revised edition." I personally think that he'd make a killing off of it, but no luck...yet...

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks! :beer: I did see that they are putting out a companion volume on researching Soviet awards... I just wish they'd give some idea of the price range as if I make this next set of sales of my TR stuff I'm going to "have" to set enough aide. No more waiting nine years to get a copy! :cheeky:

And yes, it would be great if they'd put out a revised 2nd... but I only hope they hang on long enough for me to recover from buying this one! :cheeky::lol:

I'm now up to the section on the Order of Lenin. Did a bit of reading in that section when I first got up... but then had tons of stuff that I "had" to do around the house and now work is looming on the horizon. But with luck I'll get through more of it today. So far... fantastic!

I do have a question though, which may even be addressed in the book but figured I'd ask. Does anyone have any idea why the time on the Spasky Tower pictured on several Soviet awards is always set to that same hour? Was it just a random choice or is there some deep significance to it?

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

I see the shipping went more smoothly for your McDaniel book Dan! :P

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for any good research book on Soviet and TR items myself, and I wish they were easier to come by!

A wonderful trade wouldn't you say Dan (your old friends are safe and sound and in good company) and now you finally have the "bible".

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Definitely... other than a little bit more of a wait it went very smooth... UPS must have been doing penance. As it was, the end of this past week I sent out a shipment to my mom out in California, overnight via Fedex. Knew it wouldn't be delivered until Monday as it was a good deal more for Saturday delivery and it was something she had to have on time. And what happens? The driver had filled out the form, copying it from past receipts. He screwed up (was a different driver than normal as well) and forgot to put south in part of her address. Hence it didn't get delivered on Monday. So much for the best laid plans of mice, men and me! :P

And now... believe it or not I need to send a small package with one item out to New Zealand. I can't believe I'm jumping right in... :speechless: but from what I understand Canada is one of, if not "the" worst place to ship stuff to due to all the read tape and gov't nonsense. Hoping NZ won't be a problem.

As far as German refs you have my recommendations on those... and I'm sure most anyone would agree with them. On the Soviet... I have one... McDaniel & Schmitt, hands down, without a doubt. That is if you're going to be serious about it. If you're only going to casually collect them I'd still recommend it but there are others which will give you the basics... and I think I've already passed on recommendations on those. If not give me a nudge and I'll be happy to do so.

Very glad that all my old friends are safe and sound in a new loving home. Again can't wait to see pics of them in their new environment. :beer:

And yes, LOVE :love::love: my red bible!!!! I know it's the best investment I've ever made in my Soviet collection... without a doubt! Again, highly recommend you get one first chance you get... you may never want to put it back down! :rolleyes:

Dan :cheers:

OK You have convinced me. I will buy a copy. I am new to Soviet awards but an education is always the first step. I also want to be able to evaluate what awards my relative in the Ukraine have.

OK You have convinced me. I will buy a copy. I am new to Soviet awards but an education is always the first step. I also want to be able to evaluate what awards my relative in the Ukraine have.

Hi Paul,

I would expect no less from a Patton fan... even though he hated the Russians! :P:D Believe me when I say it's "well" worth it!!!! I'm only up to the Order Of The October Revolution and now that for a fact. And when you pick it up it even feels like something that is worth what it costs! :lol:

And look at it this way... if you "ever" want to resell it.. you won't lose any money... just about flat out guaranteed from what I've seen... unless you want to use it to grease the treads of your tank... so that probably would not be advisable if you'd want to get the full value out of it. :rolleyes::lol:

Seriously though, it's just a flat out great book and I think anyone who has even the "slightest" interest in Soviet history or their awards will enjoy it for many years to come.

Let us know what you think what you get your copy and start reading it. :D

Dan. Not just Patton but everyone seemed to hate the Soviets, except my Grandfather. He hated the Czar and church! I wish I could have known him. It will be interested to find out my families wartime information. I do know that my GreatAunt was a partisan and was killed by the Germans. One of her sons survived and became a Soviet Pilot in the 1950's.

Dan. Not just Patton but everyone seemed to hate the Soviets, except my Grandfather. He hated the Czar and church! I wish I could have known him. It will be interested to find out my families wartime information. I do know that my GreatAunt was a partisan and was killed by the Germans. One of her sons survived and became a Soviet Pilot in the 1950's.

Hi Paul,

It's just that Patton seemed to revel in his hate of them. :P I've heard from alot of Russians that they hated the Czar but not really the church before. Even alot of the Soviets seemed to secretly continue to believe even when it was officially not the thing to do.

I've studied the last Czar and his family and just can't share their opinion of him. I really felt for him... all of them. He was, by his own admission not really suited to nor had his father trained him to be Czar. His father of course had died young and unexpectedly and it left Nicholas holding the bag. Perhaps his greatest fault was that he did not abdicate in favor of his brother Michael... who may or may not have made a better Czar. Nicholas tended to be too much of a gentle family man who was thrust into the position of running the country and floundered in it much of the time.

I've heard he was an alcoholic, but only once and have never read such in any of the biographical or historical texts I've ever read.

Circumstances were also very much against him... not unlike Carter when he was president. The )$*@$+T&#$ hit the fan, the fan was on high and he was simply not the man for the job at that time and place. In another time perhaps but not then. Hence he tends to be remembered as being a bad president. I don't think he was in all ways. He honestly tried as I feel Nicholas did at being Czar. But he got hit with revolutionaries left and right, troubles in the Balkans, like there was ever a time when there wasn't trouble in the Balkans, family problems including his only sons hemophilia, Rasputin, who certainly seemed to be in "exactly" the right time and place to cause the maximum of trouble, and WWI.

The "one" major thing I have always hated about the communists and Lenin in particular is that they killed Nicholas and his family. Had they simply sent them into exile in England or elsewhere I honestly think that much of the animosity towards them would never have occured. They created their own bad press with that more than much of what they did in the beginning. Then of course killing people in massive amounts equal to or most likely far exceeding the nazi's did not help at all... and much of that was of course under Stalin.

History is bloody... sad but true. We're reminded of that all the time.

But it sounds like you have a great family history. Very sorry to hear about your Great Aunt... may she rest in peace. A very brave woman I'm sure. And that's one thing I, and many others I'm sure admire so much about the Russian people. They do not lack bravery or a fighting spirit. They do whatever it takes to defend their motherland and you've got to admire that no matter what.

When it came right down to it, I know that the vast majority of Russians who fought during the war did so not out love for Stalin or the party... more fear in that regard... but because they were fighting for Mother Russia and their families and loved ones. A great people for sure! :cheers:

And then a pilot in the 50's... more interesting times. Did he end up being one of those who flew in Korea? Any idea what he flew? Bombers, fighters? How about awards... did he or his mother receive any? Of course over there they gave so many for just about anything I guess it would be the rare person who never got anything. They probably had an award for pushing more paper than anyone else! LOL! But always fascinated to hear what people were given for what they did and why they got it.

I only wish more histories would become available in English. I'd love to see a complete history of each awards recipients as that would be great reading... although I'm sure quite tragic and sad considering how many ended up being persecuted, sent to gulags or shot outright. What a waste so much of it was.

So how did you get interested in Patton? He's always been one of the biggies on my radar, along with Rommel and Zhukov, at least as far as WWII is concerned.

On the book I'm now up to the Order of Alexander Nevsky. Great reading!

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

about 2 years ago a copy of this came up for auction here in dublin and i wanted it so much that even though on my way into the auction i realy badly twisted my ankle i toke the pain got in and won the book!! could NOT belive i got it!! still kinda cant!! i was bidding against about 5 people but i had to have the book!!!! i havent seen a copy turn up in ireland since! also every web site i see is normaly sold!! well worth the price!!! :beer:

paddywhack & Paul C.,

You won't regret your purchase of the Red Bible AKA the PMD(For Paul McDaniel who Co-wrote the book with Paual Schmitt). It is a MUST have for collecting Soviet ODMs. It is the best book out there right now on the subject. I use mine regularly. It's a MUST!!!

:beer: Doc

paddywhack & Paul C.,

You won't regret your purchase of the Red Bible AKA the PMD(For Paul McDaniel who Co-wrote the book with Paual Schmitt). It is a MUST have for collecting Soviet ODMs. It is the best book out there right now on the subject. I use mine regularly. It's a MUST!!!

Hi Doc,

Yet again I've gotta agree! Still going back through mine just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

And hey... in a pinch it makes one heck of a good looking paperweight too... and saves on weight lifting equipment! :P When Kim came home the day mine arrived I handed it to her and said "Now, doesn't that feel like something worth a hundred dollars?" :lol: And she totally agreed. You definitely get alot for your money... in weight :cheeky: and in knowledge. Just great stuff from cover to cover.

I will say this though... just heard yesterday about the new book being out:

http://www.historicalresearch.com/books.html

and thank goodness for the "slightly" lower price! :rolleyes: But I can't say I'm thrilled with the cover compared with the first book. Perhaps if they'd left off the bottom two pics of the map and whatever. Like the green cover though... my favorite color!

But hoping to get my copy soon one way or the other. Definitely don't want to wait ten years on this puppy! :rolleyes:

Paddywack,

I'm sure you will be very pleased with it. BTW Hello to a fellow Irishman!! ;)

just ordered echoes of wars there cant wait!!!!! and red bible is fanastic!! all my mates want to borrow it!!!!

Hi Dan (Hauptman),

Since your original post, I have resisted the following vignette regarding Paul?s book; but...

I was fortunate to receive my copy just after publication. :jumping: I immediately dove into it. A couple of hours later, my wife, who I should note has lived with my (mostly Imperial German) collecting for over twenty years. came in. :D I handed the book to her and said ?Take a look at this?. An hour or so later, she came back, handed the book to me and said ?This is how medal books are going to be written?. :jumping::jumping: Very insightful, we can only hope she?s right. :o Ops! What I said! :rolleyes: Of course, she?s always right. :blush:

So there you are Dan, from a real authority, you?re going to love your new book. :beer:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Dan (Hauptman),

Since your original post, I have resisted the following vignette regarding Paul’s book; but...

I was fortunate to receive my copy just after publication. :jumping: I immediately dove into it. A couple of hours later, my wife, who I should note has lived with my (mostly Imperial German) collecting for over twenty years. came in. :D I handed the book to her and said “Take a look at this”. An hour or so later, she came back, handed the book to me and said “This is how medal books are going to be written”. :jumping: Very insightful, we can only hope she’s right. :o Ops! What I said! :rolleyes: Of course, she’s always right. :blush:

So there you are Dan, from a real authority, you’re going to love your new book. :beer:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi WC,

I too have a very supportive wife who has lived, mostly very happily with all my assorted hobbies all these years. And nice thing is, she really "loves" the Soviet Orders and such... gets that dreamy look in her eyes when it comes to that enamel... same as me!

Can't wait to get the new one. Busily scheming away to make that happen as we speak. Just depends on what sells first.

And yes, they're always right, even when they're not.

Have a great one! :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

Well, we have a new arrival! My "Green" bible has now arrived! :jumping::jumping::jumping: Many thanks for helping me out on this Gordon!!!! I owes you many many pizzas! :D:beer:

Haven't had a chance to "check it out" yet but I will say... it's not a weight lifting piece like the "Red" is. Just under half the thickness. Lots of reading, beautiful pics and a ton of charts is what I see on a quick flip through. I'm sure it's going to be fascinating reading and a great companion to the "Red".

Hope ya'll get your's soon! Just overjoyed that this one didn't take me nearly ten years to get... for once I'm closer to the front of the herd. Alot less dust back here! :P

Darrell,

I think that he's referring to Paul Schmitt's new book.

Hi Doc,

Absolutely correct! :P:beer: You win a cookie! Many apologies... just felt that was an appropriate name for it since it's the companion to the Red Bible. :D

Guest Darrell

Hi Doc,

Absolutely correct! :P:beer: You win a cookie! Many apologies... just felt that was an appropriate name for it since it's the companion to the Red Bible. :D

Wow .. this one got under the Radar. Anyone got a link to the site it's for sale?