News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Red Bible Has Arrived!

Guest Darrell

Hey, congrats! :beer: Happy reading! :D Just finished yesterday myself... but am continuing to use both for reference of course. Can't keep from picking them up to look up this or that.

I think you'll really enjoy it.

Dan :cheers:

Yep .. too much reading material lately. 1st "The Canadian Honors System", then 6th Edition of "A Complete Guide to All United States Military Medals 1939 to Present", "Echos of War", and soon to arrive "Elite of the 3rd Reich" Guide to RK Holders.

• Replies 150
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep .. too much reading material lately. 1st "The Canadian Honors System", then 6th Edition of "A Complete Guide to All United States Military Medals 1939 to Present", "Echos of War", and soon to arrive "Elite of the 3rd Reich" Guide to RK Holders.

Boy oh boy are you going to be busy reading for a while! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a new updated version of the book or is it still the 1997 edition? Not that there is much to update on although more info on spotting certain fakes as well as more info on the award docs would make the book that little bit more complete. Interestingly my very treasured copy came all the way from Russia a few years back. It cost my mother in law much more than the price on the dust jacket. but she could never go wrong such a gift! :beer:

jimzammit,

No the Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders and Medals has not been updated. The new book is ECHOS OF WAR: RESEARCHING SOVIET MILITARY AWARDS By Paul Schmitt. It's an excellent book and compliments the Comprehensive Guide very well. I would HIGHLY recommend it!!! :jumping:

:beer: Doc

Is there a new updated version of the book or is it still the 1997 edition? Not that there is much to update on although more info on spotting certain fakes as well as more info on the award docs would make the book that little bit more complete. Interestingly my very treasured copy came all the way from Russia a few years back. It cost my mother in law much more than the price on the dust jacket. but she could never go wrong such a gift! :beer:

• 2 months later...

By the way, just an update on my book (which wasn't intended to become a book, but has...) Anyway, it's now at 295 pages and is pretty much "done." Book and cover art have been delivered to the publisher and I should see a proof in about three weeks (or thereabouts.) It is hardcover, and the price will be $39.99 a copy. Unfortunately, there are no photos in the book as that would have doubled the price of the book to about $75 a copy - and I was trying to keep these as affordable as possible. Knock on wood that the proof doesn't have too many issues, and I hope to have the first few purchaseable ones out by the end of the year. The book is very limited run - only 100 copies, though more can be printed if required. I'll let you know how it looks when I get the proof.

Also, in the original topic of this thread, I have a couple of the "Red Bibles" that I've picked up for sale in case anyone needs one.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Please forgive me for resurrecting this old thread; but having finally found the time to finish Echoes of War, there is a point regarding this excellent book that I don?t think has really been properly addressed; but first, I feel that the format, let?s call it explanation by example, is above all very refreshing. By taking this approach, the author not only illustrates various circumstances and reasons for awards, but also gives them a ?life?. Neal O?Connor used a similar approach in his invaluable series on Imperial German awards. Is this book better than ?The Big Red Bible?? In my opinion this is a comparison that should not even be considered - two different approaches and two different purposes. Rather, it is the perfect companion work.

The point that I want to make is as follows. As established collectors, we are among the first sources to which new and aspiring collectors turn for advice. Personally, I would encourage any new collector to read ?Echoes of War? first because, through example, it so well explains what these awards are about. Of course, and of of equal importance, The Big Red Bible is the mandatory second step.

Thank you,

Wild Card

Thank you, WC.

This book deserves revisitation. To be honest, when I first got it, I was a bit disappointed. The more I read (and re-read) it, the more impressed I have become with it, the more moved I am with the tales told there, and the more educated I become regarding the real processes involved in awarding these decorations (addressed in other threads here). This is not a simple "here are some sample award citations" volume. Each award is intentionally chosen to be an education. While I'd be happier with more ""centerfolds" of the awards/groups, I find myself reading it again, and again, and again, . . . .

I'd still put The Red Bible as #1, but this is indeed a close #2. For those who want to be type collectors, stay with the Bible (and consume the "Mondovor" site); for those who want the history, order these two books together.

Now, Dave, give us #3? (In whatever order :P .)

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I'd still put The Red Bible as #1, but this is indeed a close #2. For those who want to be type collectors, stay with the Bible (and consume the "Mondovor" site); for those who want the history, order these two books together.

Now, Dave, give us #3? (In whatever order :P .)

I would agree that the Comprehensive Guide is the primary book to have, as that's the introduction into what all the awards are. Echoes of War is nice, but it's "Step 2" (as I would consider it) that takes a basic collector who knows the differences between the awards to becoming the collector who can make educated opinions about when awards were issued, what is included in research, what certain awards were given for and the like. Just my opinion, of course!

As for mine, it's not really meant to compete with either of the other two books... I consider it more of a "labor of love" (since it is non-profit) and it originated from many requests by members of this forum and elsewhere. I don't intend for it to have a wide distribution like the other two books: if I can sell 100 copies, I will be quite impressed. :P

Dave

My thoughts on the books -

The Comprehensive Guide..... is essential to anyone looking to collect and understand the history and development of various variations of medals and orders, the sequence of variations, awarded etc etc. However we are speaking about little more then collectable medals and apart from the 'regulations' of each medal there is little or no 'personal/historical experience' (if I may call it that!). Echoes of War on the other hand brings out the personal heroic stories of a handful of individuals per order.

I do not think that the two books can be compared. Form the "Comprehensive Guide....." I learnt to start better undertsanding the awards I was collecting. Echoes of war brought to me the stories behind the medals and a drove home the understanding that a medal is not just a collectable piece of history but a real historical collectible to not only be researched but also treasured and respected. I give them a thumbs up any time and honestly, have a real soft spot for both books :love: !

We need more such publications...and should the an updated "Comprehensive Guide..." ever be printed to reflect 10 more years of "glasnost" and discovery in the field of russian awards.....well count me in for a copy!

Jim

Just as a pretaste, here's my semi-final version of the cover. We'll see how this looks when it's actually printed... :speechless:

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the teaser trailer.... :jumping: (for lack of a drooling smiley)

Jim