News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Croix de Guerre WWI

Guest Darrell

• Replies 230
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your collection is wonderful. I love the CdG and French militaria. 

I'd love to have a few nice CdG documents. 

I really need to examine mine for any silver marks. 

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

Regimental Citation, signed by Lt.Colonel Boigues, Commanding the 149 Inf.Rgt.

Named to Joannis Marius RIVOLIER who was killed by a bullet at Angres, in the 3rd Battle of Artois on 27 Sept.1915

img701.jpg

Regimental Citation, signed by Lt.Colonel Gaube, commanding the 98 Inf.Rgt.

Named to Sgt. Marius MAZERON for his courage while supplying his company with food under a German gas-attack on 8/9 nov.1916 at Pressoire.

img700.jpg

Edited by Odulf

Beautiul

French citations are very attractive. I should have started collecting them long ago. 

I fear a fellow named Chris B has nabbed most of the nice German and French citations.... lol

I have seen advertised on Ebay a WW2 CdG with a blank, completely plain reverse. Is this anything official, or even semi-official? I cannot any other reference to such a model.

Thanks for any possible information

Jerry

14 hours ago, Jerry T said:

I am familiar with the London version as having no date- have one in my collection. But the one I am referring to is totally plain, flat. See listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/142221603043?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jerry

These  medals  are  called  "uniface". I  once  collected  all  CdG and had  one of  these in  my  collection.  i  was informed  by  a very knowledgeable  French  collector  that  these medals  were purely  for  displaying in  frames  and  were  thought not to  be official. 

Jim

According to memenbers of a French militaria forum I am helping moderating, there is nothing unusual to it.

They are quiet rare but not more expensive then any other WWII CdG.

They were probalbly oversea's made examples.

Sorry Jim I was absent for a while and just answered without checking the poste.

20 hours ago, Tunneller said:

These  medals  are  called  "uniface". I  once  collected  all  CdG and had  one of  these in  my  collection.  i  was informed  by  a very knowledgeable  French  collector  that  these medals  were purely  for  displaying in  frames  and  were  thought not to  be official. 

Jim

That is very probable. I have a framed set where a normal CdG was flattened on the back to make it fit well on the frame. I think many, maybe even most Fench Vets after WW1 had a special framed set for the wall as well as their wearing medals.

• 2 months later...