News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Since I consider this to be a piece of equipment instead of a firearm, I have placed it here. This flare pistol was manufactured in occupied France for German forces. I have longed for one of these for many years since I love ersatz items. I just acquired this piece and since they are fairly scarce, I thought you would like to see it and how it is made. These are immense, with a length of 14.5 inches

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

To operate, the button on the right side of the receiver is pushed to unlock the breech. The barrel is then swiveled 180 degrees for loading. Note the rounded locking stud and the extractor are one piece.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

When the round is loaded the extractor is holding it from being seated. As the gun is closed, the machined stud on top of the receiver cams the round into place so the rim does not catch on the receiver. To fire the cocking knob is pulled until it locks and then the trigger is pulled.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Daniel,

Interesting design. I have never run across one to buy and I have no idea what the price range for the various Belgian made flare pistols is. I suspect, due to the relative numbers when compared to a Hebel model, they are commensurately more expensive. There's a nice article on these and other German flare pistols in the "Gazette des armes" No.149 from January 1986, though you have given us a more in-depth look at this model's workings.

Nice going!

Chip

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan,

Thanks for showing me the Flare pistol the other week. From what I see the cartouche on the grip means "Kommandeur de Lille". like you stated above the flarepistol was manufactured under contract in German - occupied Belgium. In the city of "Lille."

In case you did not know your flare pistol is a "Kommandeur de Lille" type 2. The type 1 had the same style barrel but the grip pointed down more. Both had the same cartouche stamp on the grip. Also the trigger guard on both styles differ significatly.

Mit Kameradschaft,

Max Stiebritz

:beer:

Hello,

occupied Belgium. In the city of "Lille."

This is actually not so complete correct => Lille is actually French Territory, it has indeed a historical connection with belgium,(as well as the city of Lille aka. Rijsel in Dutch) but that is long gone history from medieval times.

Arround 1200 Lille was still part of what was known as Flanders, this changed in the following years (as borders do change ove rhistory) and so that part of Flanders has become French territory.

Just to be a bit correct :speechless::cheeky:

Otherwise love the flare pistol. ;)

Cordial greetings,

Edited by Stijn David