News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well guys after months of searching, I`ve managed to track down an LSGC, to my force, with original ribbon, box of issue and letter from the CC of Denbighshire Police 1952.

This is only the second medal I`ve seen to NWP, the other being a Special Constable`s LSGC, from the 60`s if I remember correctly. But it had been sold when I tried to buy it, as is often the case in our hobby, as I`m sure you`ll agree.

• 1 month later...
    Guest pikemedals

hi gordon, happy to see you got you medal.i will still keep looking for you. paul

Anglesey County had its own force until 1950, then it seems to have joined Merioneth County and Caernarvonshire and became Gwynedd from 1950 - 1967. In 1967 Gwynedd was joined by Denbigh County and Flint County [called GWYNEDD] until 1974 when it became known as the North Wales Police.

Gwynedd HQ's 1951, 1962 & 1968 were in Caernarvon. However, Denbighshire HQ's were in Wrexham

• 6 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 3 months later...

The problem Rick, is that these medals only have the recipients' ranks & names. Unfortunately - and much to the frustration of collectors - the force is not recorded on the rim.

I wonder why that is? Also why you have to do 22 years as Bobby to get the same medal that you`d get for 12 years in the Forces?

Service requirement for medallic recognition is a very complex subject. There is no logical pattern. The eligibility criteria for certain awards have been amended on more than one occasion, both increasing and reducing the time served to become eligible for a medal, as have certain issues become defunct due to the re-arrangement of certain elements within the forces.

Also, the word 'forces' is a broad brush. There has never been a generic twelve year award - regular and reserve elements of the three services each having their own awards with differing entitlement periods - some 'metric' and some 'imperial', i.e. 10 v 12.

Playing off a Police LSM against a Royal Navy LSM's varying terms and conditions is pointless, as the appropriate issuing authorities determine who gets what and when. Niether is the police medal 'the same medal' as those awarded elsewhere.

Edited by Tony Farrell

in the 90`s North Wales Police destroyed all the serve papers for all retired & no longer serving Officers.

And after that the rumours of dubious goings on with sheep in the local constanularies were put to rest due to lack of evidence.... or so i heard....... :rolleyes:

• 8 years later...

In the 11 years since I started this post, I haven't seen a single other medal to a NWP officer!!!!!! The fact that the officers force isn't engraved on the rim doesn't help and I'm relying solely on any documents or packaging, like the one I started the thread with has made this a truly daunting task!!!!!!