News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 54
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone can show some Saxe Coburg Gotha, Saxe Weimar and Saxe Ernestine ribbon bars. I will be happy.

I will post in a near future my first medal bar from Saxe Weimar.

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Christophe

Hi Rick,

It's the first time I see such Duchies in one ribbon bar. :food-smiley-004:

It is interresting to note that he put the BK2 first the SF3bX. May be the officer was born in Brunswick duchie and the explanation is herer. Or may be he was native from Saxe Weimar and he put the the medals at the date of receipt. If someone can give the explanation I will be happy.

Great ribbon bar

Christophe

It's always interesting when these Sax-Weimar ribbons show up with the swords on them. A rather "over the top" statement as the award itself signifies combat, as opposed to other medals where the combat award is actually designated by the swords. Here's another example. A set of 3 bars to one man, with matching bow. All with the Sax-Weimar War Medal with (redundant) Swords!

It's always interesting when these Sax-Weimar ribbons show up with the swords on them. A rather "over the top" statement as the award itself signifies combat, as opposed to other medals where the combat award is actually designated by the swords. Here's another example. A set of 3 bars to one man, with matching bow. All with the Sax-Weimar War Medal with (redundant) Swords!

Rick,

Might these be Sachsen-Meiningen ribbons with the "dotted" pattern at the edge?

/David

Hi everybody,

Please find another fine ribbon bar with Saxon duchies.

EK2

EH3bX

HH

BO5

I think I have found the owner of this ribbon bar (I hope it is the good one). wink.gif

Oberleutnant Walter Poppe of I.R. Nr. 72 the 4th Thuringian. It explain the EH3bX and the Chief of this regiment is the Tsar of Bulgaria. I have found some information concerning this officer in the Regiment History.

If someone can confirm if this ribbon bar belonged to this officer I will so happy :food-smiley-004:

I can't say yes or no. May be Brunswick life saving medal, or Saxon duchies long service medal? I don't know. May be you are right. If it is the case do you think it is tracable ?

Thanks a lot

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

Do you think this trapezoidal bar belonged to one NCo of I.R Nr. 72 ?

Christophe

I think that solid green is the M1913 enlisted ranks army and Gendarmerie long service awards for all three Th?ringian Duchies. The only logical thing I can think of to explain why the joint-Ernestine House Order/Medal ribbon follows the 1897 Centenary medal is that it was from one of the OTHER two Hyphenated Saxon Duchies, and not from the wearer's home state.

Generalleutnant Walter Poppe did indeed have those awards (with EK1 and Black Wound Badge). That is an odd enough combination with the Hamburg in there to make me believe that was the one he wore until 1934/35.

Born 8 August 1892, army 20 January 1914 and directly commissioned

Leutnant vorp. 22.6.12 R1

Oberleutnant 18.8.17 Q2q (Reichsheer #20) In Reiter Regt 13 1924

Hauptmann 1.4.25 #25 In Inf Regt 16 1928

Major

Oberstleutnant 1.10.36 #19

Oberst 1.6.39

Generalmajor 1.4.42

Generalleutnant 1.1.43 #58

and commanded

Inf Regt 465 1.9.39

255 Inf Div 12.1.42

217 Inf Div (acting commander) October-15.11.43

364 Inf Div 15.12.43- 21.1.44

77 Inf Div 1.2.-25.4.44

59 Inf Div 5.7.44- February 1945,

and ended the war commanding 467 Inf Div.

Holder of the German Cross in Gold, 30 May 1942 as Commander 225. Inf. Div.

And here's a small happy tidbit for you Christophe--

Poppe was alive in 1974--

he was one of the military advisors creditted in the classic (one of my favorites!) WW2 movie "A Bridge Too Far." :beer:

Guest John Harman

Really great bars Christophe. I am a fan of the big old-style trapezoids. Another favorite of mine are the post-'34 bars consisting of an EK2, some other German state award, and the HindenburgX. Here are my Saxon duchy examples, and some Ordenskn?pfe too:

Thanks a lot Rick for your help :beer:

I would like to know the trapezoidal bar with Gendarmerie long service from Saxon Duchies (green ribbon) can be tracable. The Gendarmerie is a small unity, I think a platoon, not a company. But I am not sure. Many thanks for your help Rick.

Christophe