News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Canadian Medal?

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

This is out of an old magazine kicking around the house. Anyone have ANY IDEA what this is called and what it was for?

IPB Image

Edited by Darrell

This is out of an old magazine kicking around the house. Anyone have ANY IDEA what this is called and what it was for?

Darrell

I'm gonna stick my neck out here. The slogan "Land of Promise" suggests part of Clifford Sifton and Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier's plan to "sell" the Canadian West to immigrants including, though we tend to forget this, those from the US.

The look of the medal says (civilian) commemorative. The mustached chap would be Teddy Roosevelt (US President 1901-1909) and the joint hands meant to suggest that it was ok with him if we siphoned off some sodbusters from the Lower 48. A relatively amicable period in our joint histories so the two flags etc wouldn't annoy to many people.

My tuppence worth!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Interesting Peter. Could be :beer:

Hallo Darrell :beer:

Not wanting to get into any conspiricy theories :blush: I just sold a French medal on Ebay with a shaking hand motif, either "Freemason" connected or a Mutual-relief society, maybe connected maybe not :unsure:

It (yours pictures) may be lodge connected but I would ask one of our resident Masonic Experts to comment. :D

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Darrell :beer:

Not wanting to get into any conspiricy theories :blush: I just sold a French medal on Ebay with a shaking hand motif, either "Freemason" connected or a Mutual-relief society, maybe connected maybe not :unsure:

It (yours pictures) may be lodge connected but I would ask one of our resident Masonic Experts to comment. :D

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Kev

I thought "Masons" when I saw it but wasn't sure why. The old subconcious must have been twitching - maybe I once heard the clasped hands were Masonic and then forgot I knew that. Now that I know it casts an interesting light on some early Cdn grave stones I've seen. Thanks for that tidbit!

Peter

The coat of arms puts this after 1907 (new coats of arms for Alberta and Saskatchewan). I'm thinking maybe the crossed flags mean that this is part of the 1911 camapign for the Reciprocity Agreement (free trade with the U.S.). That would make it King George V.