News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish Tank

On a visit to the Tank Museum at Bovington I saw a Swedish tank that was so low to the ground that I couldn't see how it could get any evalation to fire. This museum is great but was going under a refit so the explanation was missing. Im sure that " Chairman " " Vice " and " Firefly " can sort it out in simple terms. " Foo "

Ah yes Foo, the 'S-Tank', or to give it it's proper name the 'Stridsvagn Strv-103'! The design originated in the early 50's, put into production in the late 60's. I think the Swedish Army had about 300 of these things. They've all been replaced by Leopards. Three-man crew (the radio operator sits facing the rear in case he is needed to drive the tank backwards!)

I think they used the British L7 105mm gun with an autoloader. The British army actually leased some of these for field trials in Germany, but the tank is almost impossible to fire accurately on the move. Very good defensively though because of the low profile, therefore suiting Swedish requirements (they weren't going to be needed to storm across Europe were they!).

The gun is raised and lowered by using hydropneumatic suspension. I've seen one in action over at Bovington. Very different.

• 4 years later...

On a visit to the Tank Museum at Bovington I saw a Swedish tank that was so low to the ground that I couldn't see how it could get any evalation to fire. This museum is great but was going under a refit so the explanation was missing. Im sure that " Chairman " " Vice " and " Firefly " can sort it out in simple terms. " Foo "

Did you take a picture of it that you can share on the GMIC?

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 3 years later...

FV 4401 Contentious

Did you know the British built a prototype tank similar to the Stridsvagn 103?

It was designated FV 4401 Contentious, an air-portable tank destroyer built in the early 1960's.

At least one prototype was constructed and tested, although no production vehicles were built or saw service.

The gun chosen was the QF 20 pounder (84 mm), already in use in the Centurion tank, although now fitted with an autoloader. The mount was fixed in elevation and had only a limited traverse. Most aiming relied on steering the entire tank on its tracks. Elevation used an unusual system, a hydraulic suspension system with independent height control of each wheel station. This allowed the entire tank chassis to be tilted back and forth.

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

• 11 years later...