News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Victory Medals

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 221
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

Continuing with my quirky Rumanian mis-strikes - this month's acquisition:

flat%20roma%2002%202-crop_zpsauu3tmz2.jp

flat%20roma%2002%201-crop_zpshtizplwn.jp

It's an unofficial Type 2, but the obverse is very flat - almost no details of the wings, no face for Victory. The reverse view shows that it's canted off to the right by about 10 degrees. Probably by the same maker as the one in my post #195, but that was a double strike - definitely needed better quality control.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could your opinions on this piece?  I've been burned before on "official" strikes of the Victory medal.  To me, it looks a little to shiny and there's that weird looking line on the bottom reverse...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-WW1-ROMANIA-ARMY-INTERALLIED-VICTORY-MEDAL-1914-1918-/331865087719

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jason

On 02/06/2016 at 13:18, jshorter said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could your opinions on this piece?  I've been burned before on "official" strikes of the Victory medal.  To me, it looks a little to shiny and there's that weird looking line on the bottom reverse...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-WW1-ROMANIA-ARMY-INTERALLIED-VICTORY-MEDAL-1914-1918-/331865087719

Jason

Hi Jason.

For me it's a piece was polished. she is ok!

BR

Lambert 

• 1 month later...
    On 3/6/2016 at 02:18, jshorter said:

Hi everyone,

Jason

Hello Jason,

Late to the party but I would echo the words of Lambert.  Noting that the piece has already sold I would have passed on the item for the following reasons:

1. The planchet has been heavily polished on both sides, with the scoring marks more noticeable on the obverse.  This is a great way to destroy value in a medal especially a lovely bronze medal.

2. There is a significant die flaw on the bottom of the reverse.  While it is usual to see die flaws on the numerous 'unofficial' strikes, it is not regularly seen on the 'official' strike.

3. The medal has been 'court-mounted' which is a predominantly British and Commonwealth manner of mounting medals and certainly not the style in which Romanian medals were mounted; either singly or when in groups.

4. The ribbon is not correct to type, looking like the British weave of ribbon.

On that basis I would have passed on the item.  There are just as many good condition official strikes in the market, that have not been polished and have kept their lovely dark patina.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
    Rob

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

My recent Romanian VM acquisition from the same source as the Portuguese one posted on that thread. I am pretty happy with it as an Official type. Replacement ribbon obviously and unfortunately otherwise it seems quite ok? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Percy

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_001.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_002.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_003.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_004.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_005.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_006.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_007.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_008.jpg

Tim_Museum_170114_Romania_Victory_Medal_009.jpg

Hello Percy,

An official strike in good condition, notwithstanding the British ribbon.  I would suggest obtaining a piece of the French manufactured ribbon to replace it as it would be more correct to type.

Interestingly, on this official strike, the planchet on the obverse has been struck off-centre.  You will notice on the bottom half of the medal a noticeable line, which is especially apparent just below the ribbon drape over the foot of victory herself.  It would appear that the planchet may have slipped which resulted in an off-centre strike.  While you see die-flaws and planchet errors regularly on the Romanian unofficial strikes it is not normally seen on the official strikes.

Compare your example to the numerous pics in this sub-thread but note particularly the close-ups on post 55 and 73, and you will see the off-centre strike on your example.

Regards,
    Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks again for your wise words. I'll certainly take up your suggestion of replacing the ribbon with a French ribbon so as to be more correct to type as you say.

As to the comments re an off-centre strike you have me scratching my head a bit to be honest. I have looked closely at the posts you mentioned and really can't see any difference. The only thing I can think off after a closer study of my own pics is possibly my poor photography with quite a shadow on the bottom of the medal??? Or maybe I am still missing it?

The photos were simply taken from my iPhone on a desk with a bright desk lamp causing the shadow. Here are a couple more taken with more care than previous and a with a contrasting background.

Cheers,

Percy

Tim_Museum_170115_Romania_Victory_Medal_010.jpg

Tim_Museum_170115_Romania_Victory_Medal_011.jpg

Tim_Museum_170115_Romania_Victory_Medal_012.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    On 16/01/2017 at 00:26, Percy Chapman said:

Hi Rob,

Thanks again for your wise words. I'll certainly take up your suggestion of replacing the ribbon with a French ribbon so as to be more correct to type as you say.

As to the comments re an off-centre strike you have me scratching my head a bit to be honest. I have looked closely at the posts you mentioned and really can't see any difference. The only thing I can think off after a closer study of my own pics is possibly my poor photography with quite a shadow on the bottom of the medal??? Or maybe I am still missing it?

The photos were simply taken from my iPhone on a desk with a bright desk lamp causing the shadow. Here are a couple more taken with more care than previous and a with a contrasting background.

Cheers,

Percy

Hi Percy,

Thanks for the extra photos.  It clearly shows what I had assumed was a planchet error, to be a shadow from the camera.  A nice example of the official strike.  My apologies if my follow-up question gave you pause for thought.

Regards,
    Rob

All good thanks Rob. The "pause for thought" was well worthwhile as I was able to study and learn more about the variations available. I'm still on a steep learning curve being relatively new to collecting in this area and hence this forum is incredibly helpful.

Regards,

Percy

• 2 months later...

All good thanks Rob. The "pause for thought" was well worthwhile as I was able to study and learn more about the variations available. I'm still on a steep learning curve being relatively new to collecting in this area and hence this forum is incredibly helpful.

Regards,

Percy

Hello Percy,

If you are new to this collecting area then I would suggest you obtain the second edition of Mr Alex Laslo's work on the vic series.  It is available relatively cheaply on a myriad of online sites.  That, combined with the pictures in this forum, should be of assistance.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW
    typo

• 2 months later...

Hello!

My study of the Romanian Medal of Victory

Unofficial Type 3. Has a suspension device in the form of a thick wire or ring

I separate 3 types according to the features of the obverse and reverse.

The differences are very good

Румын Тип 3 ав.jpg

Румын Тип 3 рев.jpg

Unofficial Type 4 - suspension device in the form of a cylinder.
    It is divided into 2 types.598efdd0641d2_4.jpg.6bc6be6c0e2d3881bff1b822a1f6c61f.jpg

Румын Тип 4 рев.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Oliver,

A good selection that you have posted here on the forum for the benefit of all the fellow vic collectors.

The range of minor variations, especially noted on the Romanian vic, is attributable to a wide and un-documented number of local unofficial manufacturers.

It is this large number of variations that makes the vics worth collecting, as you never really finish collecting. It is, however, a long and often slippery slope once you start trying to find all the different major and then minor variations.

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Regards,
    Rob

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...