News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Victory Medals

• Replies 221
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Kevin,

Nice pics.

These pictures continue to add to the collection of varieties and sub-varieties and sub-sub-varieties. The list could be endless as time is showing us.

The official strikes, in good condition, do not show up all that often. Trying to find one with a corresponding ribbon and clipping all in good condition contiune to prove to be a bit of a challenge.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition - inspired by the recent postings on this thread! Delivered from Bucharest at midday, the Unofficial Type 3 .

RomanianUnofficialType302_zps2022bd05.jp

Obverse

RomanianUnofficialType301_zps790ec4a6.jp

Reverse

RomanianUnofficialType301-crop_zpsf6abf3

The three countries with C instead of G, and thin links to the chain. Narrow cylinder suspension, planchet diameter 36mm, thickness 3mm. The ribbon is in very poor shape, but I have a piece of French ribbon that I can substitute for it.

I'll post close-ups of the countries' names as Kevin has done in due course.

Any comments welcome,

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition, continuing the theme of Romania. It's the Unofficial Type 2, with reversed N and C instead of G.

Obverse

romaniaunofftype201.jpg

Reverse

romaniaunofftype202.jpg

The planchet is 36.3mm diameter and 2.3 mm thick, with ball suspension. It's quite light in colour, and the details are sharply struck.

I'll post enlargements tomorrow.

Any comments welcome.

Bill

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition, continuing the theme of Romania. It's the Unofficial Type 2, with reversed N and C instead of G.

The planchet is 36.3mm diameter and 2.3 mm thick, with ball suspension. It's quite light in colour, and the details are sharply struck.

Any comments welcome.

Bill

Hello Bill,

A good example you have with nice and distinct strikes.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 months later...

Hi Gents,

Just in today - Romania Unofficial Type 3, with C instead of G, and wire suspension:

romanianunofftype32nd01_zps88e420d1.jpg

romanianunofftype32nd02_zps2cccde08.jpg

It seems to be quite nicely struck, although the suspension looks more like a filed-down ball - I'll do close-ups and details of the countries names in the next couple of days.

All comments welcome.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Gents,

The close-ups of the Unofficial Type 3 with wire suspension, as promised.

romunoff301-crop_zps062d228e.jpg

Obverse ...

romunoff303-crop_zps53492364.jpg

Reverse ...

romunoff304-crop3_zpsee494918.jpg

and close-up of the 'Great War for Civilisation' lettering on the reverse. Compared with the cylinder type in post #105 - the upper and lower limbs of the E in the first word are touching the shaft of the axe, as is the lower right angle of the Z at the bottom.

Bill

Edited by Bilco