News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Victory Medals

This finally arrived in the mail. By all appearances, a good example of the Romanian official.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-16545-0-74908900-1388610357.pnghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-16545-0-66322400-1388610385.png

• 5 weeks later...
    • Replies 221
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the other one I'm concerned may be fake...in this case because I got it on eBay and because it seems very shiny, which I didn't think the Romanian ones were. This is the "Crecia" unofficial version.

I am awaiting the Romanian official, which I got for $200 on eBay...seems cheap, but since the seller is in Bucharest, that allays my fears of it being fake.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Take care, a few years ago, at a Collector's Fair in Romania, I found a Romanian medal dealer from Bucharest selling the chocolate brown type British made reproduction Romanian Inter-Allied Victory medal on modern made British Victory medal ribbon, when I quizzed him about he admitted to buying a few on British E-bay for resale to buyers outside of Romania.

I regularly attend the Collector's Fairs over here and can quite honestly say that, apart from the above example I have never found or come across any fake or modern repro made Romanian Inter-Allied Victory Medals at them

Kevin in Deva, :cheers:

Hello Oliver,

I would agree that this piece is an unofficial strike. It is very close to the design of the official production, with some minor reverse die variations and the lack of the 'Kristesko' mark. Some collectors have suggested that this piece was made in France due to the high level of detail and production values; but this has yet to be conclusively established.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Lambert,

Hi Rob.

welcome back.

I know that Type 1 Unofficial probably made ​​in France had a ball suspension, and much like drawing with official Medal ... ?
    But this has a ring suspension.
    Lambert

My absences this year will be frequent due to work commitments.

I agree that the unofficial type 1 was probably made in France. This particular variety also has a similar high quality which is at least suggestive that it was produced in France. Even compared to the unofficial type 1 there are many similarities between the two; despite some small variations on the reverse.

Regards,
    Rob

• 3 months later...

To all,

I was interested in the type 3a, but that went for nearly $400, and I just wasn't prepared to spend that at the moment.

God ..! $ 400,00 :speechless1:

Lambert

To put David and Lambert's comments into perspective.

The Romanian unofficial type 3a is the rarest of the Romanian unofficial strikes. It is seen very rarely and far less often than the official strikes. Many have proffered opinions on the type 3a but very few have the item in their collection and even less examples appear in the market. This most recent example that was sold for US $ 392 is consistent with others that I have seen in the past. It goes to the adage of what a collector is willing to pay for a specific item.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

Well, it's time to confess that it was I who bought the Romanian Unofficial Type 3a mentioned above! As the £ sterling is reasonably high against the US $ the price in sterling doesn't sound nearly as frightening, and if I had seen the medal on a UK dealer's web site at this price I wouldn't have hesitated to buy it. I am glad that the other bidder didn't quite go to my maximum bid, though!

Anyway, I now have the medal in hand, and I'm very pleased with it. It's a nice crisp striking in good condition, and I've been able to replace the modern ribbon with something more in period.

Romania3aobv-crop_zps91409b08.jpg

Obverse

romania3arev-crop_zps2131462c.jpg

Reverse, showing the oval links to the chain, and the correct G in BELGIA and ANGLIA, and the C instead of G in CRECIA.

Bill

• 2 months later...

My collection grows: the elusive Rumania unofficial type 3A.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-16545-0-42374000-1409070195.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-16545-0-61775700-1409070261.jpg

Hello David,

My collection grows: the elusive Rumania unofficial type 3A.

You have picked up a good example of a relatively scarce item. As Lambert has indicated it is attached to the Belgian produced ribbon. For a more contemporary look you may want to replace the ribbon with some of the French variety.

Either way your example is nicely toned and in good condition. A good pickup.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 months later...

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition - a Romania Unofficial Type 1 ....

romaniadoubstrike02_zpsfdb1231f.jpg

...the reverse, looking pretty standard, although there are signs of double striking in the 4 names at the bottom of the planchet .....

romaniadoubstrike01_zps28b797b6.jpg

... but the obverse looks very odd - a double strike, with the second strike off-set to the right by a couple of mm. The ball(?) suspension is curiously mis-shapen as well and seems to be slightly off-set to the right, looking at the obverse.

All comments welcome.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition - a Romania Unofficial Type 1 ....

...the reverse, looking pretty standard, although there are signs of double striking in the 4 names at the bottom of the planchet .....

... but the obverse looks very odd - a double strike, with the second strike off-set to the right by a couple of mm. The ball(?) suspension is curiously mis-shapen as well and seems to be slightly off-set to the right, looking at the obverse.

All comments welcome.

Bill

This example is an unofficial 'Reverse N' variety.

It is not unusual to see 'double' or 'overstrikes' on the Romanian vics as they were produced by local manufacturers.

A nice example of a variety that is becoming much harder to find.

Regards,
    Rob

Greeting Bill,

As pointed out, it not unusual to see an unofficial with an overstrike, but for this small manufacturer it is seen more often. Mistakes were made on the second, third and forth (Laslo's 3A) of the unofficial medals. Clearly it tells the collectors there was no quality control or care to detail, and what this and the other small manufacturers made when out the door.

To me, what is unusual, is I know that you know the reverse N was an unofficial type-2 , LOL

Best, regards, Jim

Right, this time I'll really concentrate ....

Firstly, a better photo of the medal I posted yesterday ...

romaniadoubstrike04-crop_zpsc33ae8c1.jpg

The double-striking of the names is worst from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

There is another Unofficial Type 2 (see Jim, I can do it) with double-strike on the reverse on eBay at the moment (item # 390985041774) ...

romaniadoubstrike012_zpsda9848f3.jpg

This one is not so bad, the double-strike is most obvious at the top of the reverse. The obverse is fine, but it is skewed compared with the reverse, as can be seen from the suspension ball.

There was another example on eBay a while ago ...

romaniadoubstrike020_zpse15d1d99.jpg

I posted it here before. The double-strike of the names is very clear, and almost obscures the reversed N, particularly in the top half. The obverse is fine, and the suspension ball shows no sign of skewing.

Bill