News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would be very doubtful that this is an original, unless it is a private modification. May we see an image of the reverse please? And a close up of the 1923 area?

The significance of the date 1923 is that was the year of Hitler's attempted Putsch in Munich.

Cheers

Don

That badge was on the Snyders Treasures website for sometime.

I have not seen another dated Gau Baden of any grade in this styel and because

of that date bar I would be wary as well of that modification without supporting

documentation.

I have however seen engraved dates to the reverse of badges.

If my memory is correct the reverse of the date bar lacks much noticeable tarnish as compared

to the obverse of the bar as well as to the main badge itself.

Guest WAR LORD

I believe this badge is a copy that has been added to. The configuration of the obverse laks detail. The reverse shows the inherant pin, this was used on the extreemly good fakes of the femal form. S treasures only addes glitter to the story.

• 10 years later...
    • 2 years later...
    On 27/06/2006 at 00:56, Scowen said:

I would be very doubtful that this is an original, unless it is a private modification. May we see an image of the reverse please? And a close up of the 1923 area?

The significance of the date 1923 is that was the year of Hitler's attempted Putsch in Munich.

Cheers

Don

The modification was definitely factory made, so far we know of two varieties- straight brass 1923 bar as seen in post 1 and enameled oval with the same date above. We know it was something that was more or less mass produced, I have pics of multiple recipients of such badges (one of them below).

In the case of this badge, the significance of the year 1923 as added to the 'regular' piece was- it was the year the recipient joined the Party (similar to the 1923 Gau General badge).

index.jpg

Hi Don,

Thought you'd like something new of this nature, glad I was able to help.

I think we were all skeptical when the first badge showed up on the market, and until very recently there was no period evidence that collectors knew of. I was really surprised when I stumbled upon pics of multiple individual wearing those special badges. Even more lucky to be able to identify the persons and trace their service.

Here's another one. Notice the subtle details differ from the red enameled one shown above although this one is also enameled.

index-1.png

• 11 months later...

Hello, This is a little more info..

One of the known makers of these without year is FR. Klett, the other examples were made in gold and silver in color, there was also a women's version, there is no year on these specimens. These were instituted in 1933 by the Gauleiter of Gau Baden Robert Wagner to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the NSDAP in Gau Baden, the gold version was for members who joined from 1923-25 and the silver from 1926 until 27th of October 1929. There is little known of these types and when I was doing research little was found. Here is a link.. G

https://ailsby-collection.blogspot.com/2012/02/gau-baden-commemorative-badge-silver.html

Screenshot (111).png

Screenshot (110).png

gau baden.jpg

Afraid the info and the link provided above is another Ailsby fairy tale with no bearing in reality.

Few corrections:

F. Klett was not one of the makers, he was the only maker of those badges.

The gold version was not for members who joined from 1923-1925 but rather for those who joined before Nov. 09, 1923

The silver version was not for those who joined from 1926 to 27.10.1929 but for those who joined before 27.10.1927 and remained a member until the introduction of this award in 1933.

Although initially planned, there were no gold badges awarded to women (later editions of NSDAP's OB confirm this by listing only one grade of women's badge- silver).

The recipients did not have to be residents of Baden District to be awarded one.

imageedit_7_4308887115.jpg

imageedit_5_9808780413.jpg

Nice little trio you got there Matt!

The gold and silver grades have always eluded me, then again I think I have always
    been way too picky about how good of condition they had to be in.

Hi Raz!

Thanks for the kind words- well, that's the beauty of collecting, something to chase after.

If I could find the 800 silver version(s?) of the above and some dated specimens, that would really make my day in the Gau Baden department but I suspect that might take a while.

Oh, well..

• 11 months later...
    • 2 years later...