News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with an early German Navy Dagger Inscription

The scabbard of an Early German Amazone Navy Dagger has the following engraving on the scabbard. "Ihrem Scheidenden Kameraden Krug von Nidda der A.S.C." What are your ideas about the identity of A.S.C. ??

I bow to the masters and appreciate any help!

Vic

Guest Rick Research

Scans please.

When you say "early," I assume you mean IMPERIAL, but you've placed this in the THIRD REICH section, so I may be looking in the wrong places.

I find nobody from the Krug von Nidda family in the IMPERIAL navy, from 1905 on and including none recalled for WW1.

If this is a pre-1900 piece with the old style spelling, then it was probably something like

A(rtillerie) something C(ommission or omitee)

Rick,

I am sorry for the mis-placement. Yes, this is an Imperial German Navy Dagger pre-1900. Background information does help. sorry again. We had a guess of --- Akademischer Segel Club. Ever hear of such an organization??

Vic

Guest Rick Research

I doubt that. One wouldn't "depart" in this sense from a club, but officers did get presents leaving assignments/units to go elsewhere or retire.

It's a NAVAL connection to any Krug von Nidda that eludes me.

Too bad no first name, which might have helped place him in his clan.

I have found a organization related to yachting which is called the Augsburger Segler-Clubs (ASC). Yours may be a dagger very similar to a navy dagger, but with some small changes may have been used by a yacht club. This is not unusal since the Imperial German Auto Club used a dagger similar to a naval one. Only some photos will tell which it is.

Dan Murphy

This idea is certainly a good one as we are talking about a navy dagger. The Amazone navy daggger is a forerunner of the standard German navy dirk. The dagger is associated with the German ship Amazone.

I wonder if the organization initials would make any more sense if the name

Friedrich Albert Franz Krug von Nidda or one of his family members was on the scabbard. I feel am sure von Nidda was a regional name.

Edited by Vic Diehl

Guest Rick Research

The Krugs von Nidda were primarily Saxon, though they had wandered in the long way around from Hesse via Austria and may have shed members at each migration.

I don't find anyone with these names either, though there WAS a Dr.jur. Friedrich born in 1860 who MAY have been the Dr.jur (no 1st name) who died as ex-Saxon State and Economics Minister in 1934.

This is definitely looking like a NON military presentation to a civilian as a wall hanger.

Rick:

From the Augsburg side I see a Hans Albrecht Krug von Nidda associated with the University but too late for this piece. Perhaps other Augsburg associations that would lend some credence to the club suggested above.

Hans Krug von Nidda was awarded the Pour Le Merite 7 Oct. 1918 could there be a tie in there?

Vic

Edited by Vic Diehl

I have checked both the Gotha "Briefadel" register in which the family Krug von Nidda are listed and the Reichsmarine Ranglisten going back as far as 1870. No Navy officer of that name.

Regards

Glenn