News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...

Ciskei Defence Force Chief Commendation Medal.

Hi Matt

Nice collection, thanks for showing them.

Do you have many more, or looking for more? I have quite a good stock of these, don't know if you have seen my website yet, have a look.

I also collect medals and have a number of "modern" South African groups, mostly with certificates, papers, photos, etc. You can see one of my favourites on the main page of my website, have also attached it here. Medals were all awarded to Andy Johnston, ex-Rhodesian SAS and South African Recce.

Cheers

James D.N.MacKenzie

SAM - Southern Africa Militaria

http://southernafricamilitaria.com

Hi James,

Thanks for the compliments! What you see is pretty much what I have though, apart from a few doubles which I haven't shown. I must say your Honoris Crux group is outstanding!! I used to own several Rhodesian medals but I sold them all a few years ago, along with many items from other African countries, and converted them into Soviet orders. I do regret letting them go! Thanks for posting your website!

Edited by DutchBoy

Hi James,

Thanks for the compliments! What you see is pretty much what I have though, apart from a few doubles which I haven't shown. I must say your Honoris Crux group is outstanding!! I used to own several Rhodesian medals but I sold them all a few years ago, along with many items from other African countries, and converted them into Soviet orders. I do regret letting them go! Thanks for posting your website!

Hi Matt

I have most of my medals already posted on http://www.britishmedalforum.com/ have a look through there. Will post some more here as I get the time.

Cheers

James D.N.MacKenzie

Thanks for sharing your beautiful groupings. I find the Rhodesian medal to be an interesting piece. :beer:

Hi Paul

Good to hear from you.

Yes, I love the Rhodesian medals, have been researching them for years and have quite a good roll compiled, around 22 000 records on my computer.

Cheers

James D.N.MacKenzie

This is a nice group. Percy Hodgson served with 3 Commando of Rhodesian Light Infantry and is mentioned throughout the book Fireforce, by Chris Cocks, as he served as Chris' Corporal and later Sergeant. He won the Military Forces Commendation, the little silver pick on the ribbon of his Rhodesia General Service Medal, with 3 Commando. When Rhodesia changed hands he moved to South Africa and joined 5 Recce.

Who let you in :P eeish the tone has just gone down heh heheh Welcome aboard we are no longer alone us South Africans!

Steve :D

Hi Boet

Fancy meeting you here!! I thought this was a Gentlemans' Club, how did you get in?

Been a silent member for a while.

Cheers

James

Hi James

Well amongst the stature of the guys here my stuff is pale in comparrison. Have posted off and on some homelands stuff under my usual moniker

Steve

• 1 month later...

A pair of South African Police medals. Left, the 20 year faithful service medal, serial numbered. On the right, the Reconciliation and Amalgamation medal, issued in 1995 to celebrate the amalgamation of the South African Police (SAP) with the police services of the various homelands which had ceased to exist the year before. The new service was renamed the South African Police Service (SAPS).

reverse. Note the silver mark on the left medal, although from what I can tell it is not actually made of silver...

Compare the medal on the left with the same medal in post #11, they have different reverses. This one is the later type.

Edited by DutchBoy

Several years ago I met the SA Defence Attache to Ottawa. We discussed medals and he told me that he had one which included a diamond. This medal also allowed the use of post-nominals by the holder. He was too modest to provide much more than this (and it was a struggle to get that much out of him). Does anyone have an image and info on this decoration?

Hi Servicepub,

There are quite a few South African apartheid-era awards that had diamonds. Being a diamond-rich country that would not be surprising. Let me run through all of them for completion's sake.

The first is the Honoris Crux Diamond, as you see in my avatar. However, it was never awarded before it was scrapped in the 1990s. Two other awards are South African Department of Correctional Services awards: The Star of Excellence (postnominals SPE) and the Cross for Valour diamond grade (CPV). The latter was also never awarded before it was cancelled.

Another one is the SA Railways Police Star for Distinguished Leadership (SEE).

Now as to the one you may be talking about, that Defence Attache probably has one of the two following decorations:

1. order of the Star of South Africa (non-military division). The grand cross comes with a diamond in the centre and has postnominals SSA. (See picture)

2. Decoration for Meritorious Service (DMS). This neck badge has no less than 5 diamonds and is a Department of Foreign Affairs award.

Your man would probably qualify for both, although they are both VERY high awards.

Hope this helps.

Several years ago I met the SA Defence Attache to Ottawa. We discussed medals and he told me that he had one which included a diamond. This medal also allowed the use of post-nominals by the holder. He was too modest to provide much more than this (and it was a struggle to get that much out of him). Does anyone have an image and info on this decoration?

• 2 weeks later...

Just came in today. The South African Prisons Service Cross for Merit (Suid-Afrikaanse Gevangenisdiens se Kruis vir Meriete). Postnominals CPM (Crux Pro Merito). Awarded to non-comissioned officers only "who have distinguished themselves by rendering outstanding service, on the grounds of ability, efficiency, perseverance, or devotion during discharge of their duties in the SAPS."

Obviously modelled after the Iron Cross...pretty cool. In gold-plated sterling with green enamel.

Edited by DutchBoy

• 2 months later...

Thanks Marco!

I like the homelands pieces too...quite hard to find! I've got several more SA and homelands pieces that I haven't posted. I'm getting around to those, including a Gazankulu Police Distinguished Service Star (neck badge, cool but quite ugly with black enamel!).

here's a preview:

Edited by DutchBoy

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a trip to the Netherlands, and visited the Chancellery of Orders museum at the Het Loo Palace. They had on display a grand cross of the Order of Good Hope awarded to the late Prince Claus of the Netherlands in 1996 by Nelson Mandela. This order was a carry-over from the Apartheid-era South Africa, and was replaced only in 2003.

The quality was decent but not great, as most later South African pieces are.

• 4 months later...

Haven't posted my new items in a while, so here's the first installment of some new South African stuff.

Here quite a rare decoration that came in today, the National Intelligence Service Decoration in bronze. It was issued to foreign intelligence operatives allied to the NIS for services rendered to South African intelligence. I've never seen another one for sale so I'm assuming it's quite rare.

• 1 month later...