News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thanks Warlord and Ed!

Ed, nicely spotted! I'm not sure what's going on. In the book, the medal has a different ribbon from the one I have in post #12, so I guess it could have been wrongly matched by the guy who sold it to me. The ribbon in the book is white with a combination of thin and thick red stripes.

I'd never noticed that before, thanks for the expert eye! I know the South Africans changed the ribbons for the SADF long service medals in the 1980's, and the book I have still shows the old ribbons for those. I doubt though that they would have changed the ribbon on this medal....

I checked all the other ribbons in the meantime and they are, thankfully, all correct!

Thanks.

Edited by DutchBoy

And finally, a cap badge from the Bophuthatswana Police.

Hi

The badge is that of the traffic police section and is worn on the breast.

In the coming weeks I will once I get the hang of it post some of my collection of homelands insignia which go with your medals

regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info on the badge. I'd really like to see your badges when you post them! Also, if you have any knowledge of a reference for homeland medals, please let me know: I'd like to find out what my homelands medals actually are, especially the Bop one which I've had since the early '90's.

Thanks,

Matthijs.

p.s. Welcome to the Forum!

Edited by DutchBoy

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info on the badge. I'd really like to see your badges when you post them! Also, if you have any knowledge of a reference for homeland medals, please let me know: I'd like to find out what my homelands medals actually are, especially the Bop one which I've had since the early '90's.

Thanks,

Matthijs.

p.s. Welcome to the Forum!

Hi Matthijs

As far as I know there are no books written on homeland medals. Medals are noy my forte but I shall ask onj the SA Army talk site if there is a chart for them.

Cheers

Steve

PS Here is a scan of yje SAP Star with the correct ribbon and bar as well as the SA Railway Police medal for combatting terrorism

Hi DutchBoy, :beer:

Are you from dutch origin or .......??? :P

Nice collection, the text on the medals is for us reasonably readable, hence South-Africans speak a

sort of dutch dialect.... :rolleyes:

Keep going on!!! :lol:

There are indeed quite few south-african collections :shame:

Thanks for sharing your collection with us :jumping:

Kind Regards,

Jacky

Edited by Jacky

Thanks for posting the correct ribbon Steve! I have yet to get the Railway Police medals, but I'll get there eventually.

Jacky, ik ben ook nederlander, en ik spreek ook Afrikaans. Leuke taal!

Paul, thanks for the kind words!

Matthijs.

• 2 months later...

More medals in my showcase identified! The Republic of Venda medals in post #18 are as follows:

On the right, the Distinguished Leadership Medal.

On the left, the Venda Defence Force Soldiers Medal, with incorrect ribbon (this present ribbon is the ribbon of the Venda Defence Force Long Service Award in Gold for 30 years service).

Many Venda medals were "liberated" after the reunification in 1994 I think because I've seen a lot of Venda medals for sale without ribbons and in mint condition. In this case someone must have just added a ribbon they had lying around to this medal to make it more saleable, and that's how I bought it.

At least that's another mystery solved! :P

Hi

This is a good reference for SA Ribbons

http://www.geocities.com/militaf/oview.htm

Best wishes

Steve

More medals in my showcase identified! The Republic of Venda medals in post #18 are as follows:

On the right, the Distinguished Leadership Medal.

On the left, the Venda Defence Force Soldiers Medal, with incorrect ribbon (this present ribbon is the ribbon of the Venda Defence Force Long Service Award in Gold for 30 years service).

Many Venda medals were "liberated" after the reunification in 1994 I think because I've seen a lot of Venda medals for sale without ribbons and in mint condition. In this case someone must have just added a ribbon they had lying around to this medal to make it more saleable, and that's how I bought it.

At least that's another mystery solved! :P

• 1 month later...

South African citizen force, John Chard Decoration for 20 years service in the Citizen Force (I think this is the same as the Home Guard).

This is the type 5 which is chrome-plated brass. Therefore the image is quite dark from the scanner light.

Edited by DutchBoy

Thanks for the kind words Jacky! I'm not sure about researching SA medals, I've never heard of that happening.

Matt.

wow, again I'm astonished!!

The true service medal on post 43 is even numbered!!

Any chance to research it??

Keep going!

Kind regards

Jacky

• 2 weeks later...

This is the De Wet Decoration for 20 years' service in the Commandos of the South African Defence Forces. The medal was instituted in 1965 - 2003. Clasps were available for 30 and 40 years' service. There is also a de Wet medal, instituted in 1987, for 10 years' service. It is similar to the present medal, but in bronze.

Depicted on the obverse is General Christiaan de Wet, who was an Afrikaner commander during the Boer War. The image is taken from a statue in Bloemfontein.

This medal is numbered 45 on the rim, making it one of the earliest awarded. It was awarded to Kommandant M. J. Claasen of the Kirkwood Commando (see box next post).

Edited by DutchBoy