News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Burma Order of the Star of the Revolution

JBFloyd

Werlich notes that it was given for political or military services in the final stages of the Burma gaining its independence. He also notes three grades of the order, but does not lay out how to distinguish them.

That's one of the very few mentions of the order in the literature, and Werlich's info clearly came from contact with the Burmese embassy.

Very interesting piece! Congrats on obtaining it!

Are these orders numbered or named? Can we please see a shot of the reverse? I am sure that another will not be easily found. :beer:

They are (were?) fairly easy to find when I was in Burma in 2002. Cheap also, I sold the one I brought back with an enormous benefit margin :beer:, I do admit I do regret not having brought back 2 at the time, just to keep in my collection :blush:

The information I have is:

Order of the Star of the Revolution -- Awarded for participation in the struggles which led to Burma's independence, either in military or political aspects of the struggle. The award is granted for service in three time periods: (1) 8 January to 26 July 1942, (2) 27 July 1942 to 26 March 1945, and (3) 27 March to 15 August 1945. Participants in the freedom struggle in all three periods were awarded the first class, participants in only two of the periods received the second class, and participants in only one of the time blocks were recognized with the third class. A peculiar aspect of this decoration is the provision that the award can be passed down to direct heirs of the original freedom fighter and be worn, multi-generationally, in this fashion. Established: 3 November 1953. The decoration has not been awarded since 24 November 1986 (March 1962?). Obverse: A five-pointed gold star with a smaller five-pointed gold star superimposed. The central medallion shows a blue-enameled peacock with displayed tail in blue. Below, a Burmese inscription reading "Independence" in blue. The decoration is a breast star. The differences for each class are indicated on the reverse. Reverse: The class of award is indicated on the reverse and, presumably, there is a pin or other attachment device. Ribbon: Blue, with yellow edge stripe to the left (wearer's right), a thin green center stripe, and a thin red edge stripe to the right (wearer's left); this is exactly the same as the ribbon for the A Ye Daw Bon Tazeit.

See: http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/medals/myanmar.html

(Though I have more information not online.)

Guest Rick Research

Well, I'm confused.

TWO points for local pro-Japanese collaborators and ONE for Italian-style side flopping to the Allied fold when the tide changed? And NO way to tell if one was a one time Axis Quisling or a Johnny Come Lately United Nations type?

Or?..............

Well, I'm confused.

TWO points for local pro-Japanese collaborators and ONE for Italian-style side flopping to the Allied fold when the tide changed? And NO way to tell if one was a one time Axis Quisling or a Johnny Come Lately United Nations type?

Or?..............

Both were viewed as nationalists, in their own way, and both fought the Brits.