News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Voice of Rod Serling:

and from such literally microscopic shadows, the collective mind connects

[attachmentid=39865]

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Cookie Monster? Hmm.

Baby Ulrich M?ckel, wherever you are (hopefully alive and well and 64 years old, now), thanks to YOU, Kleiner M?nnchen for providing the breakthrough on this bar.

For Baby M?ckel may only show us the top of his proud Grossvati's balding head, but also, even in a blurred amateur snapshot, identifies THIS medal bar on THAT day.

The Hauptmann (E) M?ckel of Infanterie Regiment 10 in January 1939 was an Oberstleutnant in the summer of 1942. He was promoted to his final rank of Oberst (S) 1 December 1943 #3, and was alive in May 1944.

There were several M?ckels in infantry regiments who received the St. Henry Medal in Silver during WW1. All were later Leutnants der Reserve. Although winning the SA3bX, none show on the SV3bX roll-- which means that award fell in the Black Hole of unrecorded late 1918 decorations

(Voice of Renfield: It's not my fault! It's not my faaault! He wasn't IN there! )

Voice of Graham Chapman: Oh stop whining, will you!!

Ahem.

Singularly unfortunately for us, at this point we of The Collective have been unable to determine WHICH of the various but consistently as yet impossible to sort out M?ckels turned INTO the Colonel Klink impersonator above. Much that was known is now lost.

Voice of Ricky's cousin John Wayne:

We have journeyed far, pilgrims, but there is still yet far to go before we cross over that river and rest in the shade of those green trees.

So stayed tuned. This is a story which has not ended.

Guest Rick Research

Yes. Bob and I owe all of this to Daniel... for spotting a SPOT in one of Carl Sagan voice: billions and billions

stop that! now!

of obscure eBay auction offerings-- literally a single lone, why would anybody even BOTHER blurred listing, cost ?3 snapshot.

What are the odds?

What ARE the odds?

I remember being all :jumping: about the thriftily refitted Reuss Ehrenkreuz, and Certains Persons regarding me as odd for insisting that it was ISSUED that way, not a bungled repair.

Me? I ask you! :rolleyes:

But it's all turned out purty durned well so far, hasn't it? :ninja: Well, except for the zip disk containing my Really Excellent Epson Scans of closeups of Bob's Bar destroying itself on me. And my tragic and lonely personal life.

But that's ANOTHER story. :unsure:

Even with all those voices, this is pretty amazing!

Congratulations to Bob, and awe-inspired respect to Rick and Daniel. It's always nice to see a piece of history being brought alive again. :beer:

Pete

Rick, Bob,

this is really a great thread... what a thrill! It's incredible how the world is "small" and it is still possible, thanks to very helpful and highly skilled and enthusiastic serious collectors, to track down such almost impossible to find names to put to ribbon or medal bars.

That's why I have an always growing amount of files on my computer and a large collection auction catalogues in my library; Many groups have been split in auctions, by dealers or by collectors. You never know when such collectibles might come up to the light and be re-united again with your medal or ribbon bar. That makes it so interesting and exciting. Sometimes you need to wait years, sometimes less...

Even more interesting for me, since this medal bar resides in my collection now (thank you Bob! I owe you one :cheers: ). This time I was fortunate enough. ;) other times not so much.

For instance, last week I sold on the e-stand here on this very forum (a medical navy officer bar) a unnamed medal bar. Just when somebody contacted me for selling it, somebody else posted the name of the real owner of the bar. Too bad! But at least it went to a good home and now has a name on it! :P That's the most important!

I am looking forward to read more about the owner of this bar... can't wait!!!!

Caio,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

I prefer the term "endearingly eccentric," personally. :rolleyes:

Eyes... there are EYES...

allllll ovvvvvver the planet! :ninja::cheers::cheeky:

wow rick truly is the master!! even if he is evil!! i can hardly remember what happened yesterday and rick can remember a pics from years ago with the same bar!! amazing!! have a beer on the house!!!!(great bar to by the way!! :love: )

Of all the terms used to describe the alleged "evil twin", I suppose I would prefer "insufferable arrogance" ;) as one. With regard to both the Bodenstedt and Moekel bars I have been neither good nor lucky only benefiting from Rick's prodigious research skills and resources. For that I am most grateful. :cheers::D:cheers:

Guest Rick Research

He's only saying that because he's seen my Senior Prom photo. That is NOT a duelling scar... just a shaving accident. Really. :rolleyes:

[attachmentid=39976]

No, being vision impaired (as you can see), if you re-read the earlier posts you will see that I was wickedly and crooly deceived by the usual reference sources and was strolling down a completely erroneous wrong path.

It was Eagle Eyes Daniel whose miraculous discovery of Baby Ulrich put us back on the right trail. :cheers:

• 5 months later...
    • 10 years later...