News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M1842 Prussian Enlisted Ranks Pickelhaube

Guest Rick Research

Here's one nobody may EVER see another of, courtesy of Tony! :beer:

[attachmentid=46134]

For the rest of the usual quality views, see:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh09.htm

Note the autographed photo of ONE of the innumerable Freiherrn Treusch von Buttlar Brandenfels in there, noted as being in Infantry Regiment 31.

WHAT ribbons is the lad wearing????--

[attachmentid=46136]

Rick,

Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 31 saw action in Schleswig in 1848 as part of Division von Bonin and the I. and F?silier-Bataillon were involved in the revolution in Baden in 1849. Various decorations were awarded to the participants in both campaigns.

Regards

Glenn

Further to my last posting, my best guess until I can get my hands on a Stammliste for I.R. 31 is that this chap was Otto Louis Ernst Adolf Karl Viktor August Kurt Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels, born on the 1st of May 1825 at Hildburghausen and died as a Major a.D. at Homburg on the 5th of December 1894.

Baron von Buttlar of the eight forenames is the only member of the extended von Buttlar family of the right age to have been an aspirant officer at around the period of 1848/49 as per the Gotha Handbook of Barons published in 1908.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

:beer: WONDERFUL, thanks Glenn! It looks like two ribbons, the first being a tricolor. A larger closeup is shown on Tony's website article.

Now, what sets ME :Cat-Scratch: is of course not some pretty, insanely rare headgear BUT what is the very earliest EVER view of ribbons BEING worn as a ribbon bar in Germany--

circa 1850.

So a Double Amazing :jumping::jumping::jumping:

For your consideration:

Paging through the Stammliste of IR 31, I came across six Frhr. Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels. Looking at the photo, which shows a young Adjutant (the Sch?rpe (sash) is the give away), I could find only one of the six who served in that capacity. He is Wilhelm, born 27.07.1838 and died on 22.07.66 of wounds suffered at K?niggr?tz as a captain in IR 17 (to which he transferred on 24.04.62). Wilhelm left the cadet corps and was attached to the regiment as an ensign on 07.06.53. He was promoted to Sek.Lt. on 19.03.54, not yet 16 years old! He served as the Adj. of the first battalion from 01.10.56-23.07.59, which helps to give a timeframe for the photo. Wilhelm is also the first of that family name to have served in IR 31.

The 1859 Rangliste shows that IR 31 garrisoned Erfurt, minus II./IR 31, which was in Wei?enfels.

The 1859 Rangliste lists Frhr. Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels as the Adj. of I./IR 31, but does not show any awards. So, what are the ribbons in the photograph??????? Based on his age, he could not have particpated in the 1848/49 campaigns. Any ideas, gentlemen??

Andy

Is there a jaw ropping emotion in here? That is the most incredible helmet I have ever seen. :love:

Andy,

I don't think that is an adjutants' sash. I believe it to be the pre 1849 shoulder strap (bandolier) used to carry the sword before the introduction of the waist belt. In any case this gentleman is not wearing the epaulettes of a commissioned officer and the "Feldachselst?cke" were not introduced until 1866. These appear to be the normal shoulder straps of an NCO or private soldier.

Regards

Glenn