News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Verwaltungspolizei Schirmmutze

Hello,

Here is another fairly rare piece of police headgear. This is an "EREL" "PRIVAT" grade cap to an administrative police officer, piped in gray for this police branch. These are rare as these were basically "non-uniformed" police officials, and uniforms were only utilized on rare ocassions.

The administrative police include building and mine inspectors, health inspectors, and other "non-criminal" investigators. All members were of officer's pay grade, although there is evidence that senior nco's (meister) ranks existed as a training or some other probationary rank. Consequently enlisted insignia from this branch are MUCH more rare than that of officers.

[attachmentid=46483]

Edited by W.Unland

The eadle is NOT a typical officer's two piece but rather a very highly frosted enlisted eagle. If original to the cap, this might suggest that this cap was worn by a "meister", as they were entitled to officer's hat cords, but would probably wear an EM grade eagle.

Here is a shot of this unusual, obviously private purchase insignia.

[attachmentid=46488]

Guest Rick Research

I thought that the Kriminalpolizei also wore this, when in uniform at all, with red and gray piped shoulder boards, and all other piping gray?

Dear Rick,

To my knowledge only the administrative police wore gray piping. Uniforms and caps are not really my thing,

eagles are, but from what I have always read this was the case. I believe criminal investigators were a branch of the schutzpolizei and would have worn a green piping, but again; I am not the expert on such matters.

The red and gray shoulder boards were the early version of the Verwaltungpolizei boards. Later, I think 1943 the red was dropped and a straight gray was used. Here are a pair of such boards for a senior nco that I have.

[attachmentid=46569]

Regards,

W.Unland

• 6 months later...

The Kriminalpolizei would not wear these uniforms. If they were uniformed at all. As far as I know the Criminal police (Kriminalpolizei) wore civilian clothes when on duty. If they needed assistance from the guys in uniform they could call in the help of the Schutzpolizei or the Gendarmerie.

From the introduction of the Grey piped Verwaltungspolizei uniform there also existed the shoulderboards with only grey piping (without red) this was used by the highest function/grade officers.

The use of the red "Nebenfarbe" was discontinued per order of november 1944 onwards. No new shoulderboards would be bought normally and the red "inbetween" color would simply be removed.

For a complete list of the Verwaltungspolizei shoulderboards you may want to check out my website section "insignia/shoulderboards/Verwaltungspolizei"

kind regards

Ernst

btw Bill, excellent pair of Meister boards !!

Edited by Ernst