News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a letter form the Boer War that I thought I would post. I hope you find something interesting.

thanks,

barry

Orange River 10/3/01

Dear Miss Clarke,

Many thanks for your letter on 28th Dec. The excitement in this neighbourhood has at last subsided and permitted me to have a small amount of leisure, of which I am availing myself to answer a great accumulation of private letters.

I have been presented with a B.P.'s head Mafeking Siege stamp which I have much pleasure in forwarding to you in case you have not got one already. If you have it will do as a "swop".

I am very glad to hear that Sir Arthur has improved in health and I trust the improvement has been continued since you last wrote. I suppose this letter will reach you before you change your address.

I expect your opinion of DeWet has modified since he shot the two peace envoys.

I was out on the scene of the Taiborch smash up (between Declar & Naauwpoort on Feb 18th) shortly after it occurred. It was a bad wreck. Two I.Y. were killed by the accident and the fireman of the train and 2 natives were shot by the Boers and a Yeoman and 1 native wounded. We arrested 10 "peaceful inhabitants" against some of whom the evidence was so strong that one of them turned Kings evidence and "let in" 5 of the others and also 2 others as accomplices.

I sincerely hope the authorities will not exercise their usual idiotic leniency in this case. If they do I think the British Public ought to be clearly informed of the facts of the case so as to influence public opinion on the side of severe measures.

Most these men were not British subjects but in the employment of the Imperial Government. I am anxiously awaiting the published result of the Court Martial which was composed of a very strong body of officers.

It is believed DeWet has never before received such blows as he did during his attempted invasion of the Colony.

There are also persistent rumours of the submission of terms of surrender by Botha, which are supposed to be under consideration at home.

Whatever happens I think that as soon as the veldt becomes dried up and forage becomes scarce we ought to have a very good chance of bringing the war to a speedy conclusion - perhaps I should say tardy conclusion.

Had a better system of intelligence been arranged we would most likely have given DeWet and Hertzog very bad knocks with the armoured trains, besides the HoutKraal affair on Feb 18th, but there was no news of the Boers approaching the line till they had actually crossed it.

There were a tremendous number of armoured trains of sorts about during this period. I myself saw 13 between Naauwpoort and Kimberley and I knew of another one up North! I am hoping to go to Cape Town shortly on duty in connection with accounts. It will be a pleasant change though very hard work.

With kind regards to Sir Andrew and yourself, Believe me, your sincere1, H.Osborne Mann

Hello Chris,

Is it possible to track down any info(awards listed) on the British officer H Osborne Mann. It looks as though he may have been in some action.

thanks,

barry

Hi,

I have been looking but cannot find a mention of him. The area the 18th Feb incident happened in had none of the traditional Brit regt operating in, mainly I.Y. which were an odds and sods mixture, so little chance of finding anything I am afraid.

I have the medal group to the Boer officer that pulled up the tracks in that action :-)

He actually won a DSO in WW1....

Folks... I just want to thank Bear in public.

As i have a group of medals to one of the boer raiding party that actually DID derail the train in question, the arrested men were NOT part of that party, although three were executed for it....

Bear has sent me the letter for the same price he paid for it.

That is what a collecting COMMUNITY is all about.

Thank you bear.

• 1 year later...

I got another Boer War letter. This guy has terrible handwriting. :banger:

General Charles Parsons (3 sept 1901)

My dear Segrave,

Yours of 16th August reached me at _________ on Sept 1st as I was coming down here from the north on my way home on 3 months leave which the Chief has been _________________ You have done alot of work since I saw you and fully deserve your promotion which I hope before long will make you C.O. of a Battalion_______________ Things are bad in this neighborhood - Last month I was shut up for a week in _______ all road communications blocked by Scheepers Commandos and in the absence of mobile columns the local troops could only act on the defensive - I made a dart out with 16 men on the 30th august and fortunately got through all right. Spear left for ____ in May and White is doing_____ work at_____ and Sawyer is at Cradock and O'meara is at Johannesburg as______. ______ Scheepers lot was last heard of near ____ dam and People here are getting dissatisified at the way these Boers move about with impunity. It is very difficult to catch them - very mobile and keep to the mountains. Be sure and look ______________ Military Club ___________________ ....

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear