News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1866 / 1870 / 1897 Medal bar

Guest Guthroth

Hi

I confess I don't have a large amount of cash to spend on collecting medals, and currently medals dated after 1913 don't interest me, so this sort of thing is what I find fascinating.

So could I ask the boards opinion of this medal bar ?

IPB Image

The auction page says :

From left to right ;

"Kriegsdenkmunze, 1870/71". Approx. 30mm dia. This is the rarer version, with edge engraving "Aus Erobertem Geschuetz"/ From Conqured Cannon. This means that this medal is actually struck from the brass of a captured French cannon, & therfore issued to a front line soldier. On the front is an Iron Cross & dates 1870/1871. On the reverse, round the edge is legend "Gott war mitt uns. Ihm sei Ehre" / God was with us. His is the Honour. In the centre is the Imperial crown, over the royal cipher W (Wilhelm) & "Dem Siegrichten Heers" / The Victorious Armies. Good/fair condition for age. Usual marks/ware etc.

"Koniggratz Kreuz". This cross was issued to participants of the battle of K?niggr?tz, in 1866. K?niggr?tz was the major battle of the "7 Week War", between Prussia & Austria. On the obverse, is the Prussian Imperial Eagle, on a cannon barrel. In the 4 arms of the cross is the text "K?niggr?tz. den 3. Juli. 1866". The reverse of the medallion bears the text : "Got war mit uns Ihm Sei die Ehre" / God was with us. It is the honour, & "Dem Siegrichten Heers" / The Victorious Armies. Approx. 35mm x 35mm. Good condition for age. Usual minor marks & ware on front.

"ZENTARMEDAILLE, 1897". This medal was issued to commemorate the date of the 100th birthdate, of the Kaiser. Approx. 16mm dia. On the front is a bust of Wilhelm, in full uniform & Picklehalbe, with legend : "Wilhelm, der Grosse Deutscher Kaiser, Konig von Preussen". On the reverse is legend : "zum Andenken an den Hundertsen Geburstag des Grossen Kaisers, Wilhelm I. 1797 - 22 Marz - 1897". Good condition for age. Usual minor marks/ware.

The 3, full sized ribbons are slightly padded & shaped, in the Court Mounted style, & sewn on to a large metal plate, approx. 150mm x 40mm. With a large, brass, pin & clasp on reverse & 3 brass, medal prongs. In good/fair condition. Some light oxidation to back of plate, & ribbons grubby/stained & minor ware, - see scans. A nice trio, in a rare combination !!.

Pete

:beer:

Hi

IPB Image

The auction page says :

From left to right ;

"Kriegsdenkmunze, 1870/71". Approx. 30mm dia. This is the rarer version, with edge engraving "Aus Erobertem Geschuetz"/ From Conqured Cannon. This means that this medal is actually struck from the brass of a captured French cannon, & therfore issued to a front line soldier. On the front is an Iron Cross & dates 1870/1871. On the reverse, round the edge is legend "Gott war mitt uns. Ihm sei Ehre" / God was with us. His is the Honour. In the centre is the Imperial crown, over the royal cipher W (Wilhelm) & "Dem Siegrichten Heers" / The Victorious Armies. Good/fair condition for age. Usual marks/ware etc.

Pete

:beer:

With regard the 1870 - 71 medals the steel, non-combatant is regarded more rare than the combatant version, the steel version has a differant colour ribbon and no engraving on the rim. Apart from that the bar looks ok, I have a similar one in my collection, and rate the combination as common for that time, and easy to find on the net.

What price are they looking for this and did you see a picture of the reverse?

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Guthroth

Hi

What price are they looking for this and did you see a picture of the reverse?

Kevin in Deva

The reverse is here:

IPB Image

I paid ?26 plus reg post

Thanks for the advice

Pete :beer:

Guest Rick Research

?26 certainly seems reasonable. The bar itself appears to be in nice shape, though it looks to me like there are the prong holes from removed battle bars on the 1870 medal's ribbon.