News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baltenkreuz / Where are all the Baltic Crosses?

• 1 month later...

Two very generic observations:

First, I have seen so many fakes since the 90s with screwplates marked Kortman that I won't consider buying an award or regimental badge so marked. Second, while there's not a good close-up of the Russian silver hallmark anywhere in the four photos, there's enough of it showing here and there for me to think that it's completely bogus. Fakers have been struggling with faking Russian hallmarks for years but if you have some basic familiarity with the originals, the "tells" are always there to see.

Regards.

Edited by Mathomhaus

• 4 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

Is this a Baltic Cross first class on the pictures attached? Any ideas on the item: fake or original one? It was found at the place of WW2 battle near Tsimla town, Khoroshevskaya village, South of Russia.

pEHRS7YBCDQ.jpg

z2mt1e61NTg.jpg

Edited by Ruslan
    some addition

• 10 months later...
    • 1 year later...

my pet theory on these 830S marked variants is that they came from the area of northern germany (schleswig holstein area) as this "S" after the numerical content was utilized extensively throughout scandinavia. the border with denmark was fairly porous and it's easy for me to envision a kiel jeweler who had commercial interests and customers on both sides. the population shifted back and forth and the actual boundary was fairly static, so customs were somewhat interchangeable. perhaps this could be the same sort of hallmarking stipulation that one sometimes encounters with medals and badges imported/exported between austria and germany.

• 7 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    16 hours ago, Militarycross said:

Thank you, bolewts58. That's very helpful. One would assume that someone all those decades ago chose to use this ribbon because they couldn't source the proper one. 

I think it's more likely that this ribbon has been added relatively recently. It would not have been at all difficult to source a proper, original ribbon even as recently as the 1970s from a military supply store or tailor. One should remember that the Baltic Cross was available for purchase by Freikorps veterans well into the 1970s.

Even now, there's a large roll of original ribbon for sale on eBay Germany.

Edited by bolewts58

Since it came with a bunch of stuff from a Canadian veteran, I suspect that the ribbon was what was on it back in 1944 or 45 when it was acquired. Matters not, we have it identified and that's the key piece. Thanks again for your help.

• 5 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Baltic Cross award document.

Awarded to Gefr. Fritz Reichwald, Freikorps Weikhmann

Freikorps Weikhmann was part of the Deutsche Division serving in Kurland and Lithuania in 1919. It later was part of the Russian West Army of Prince Avalov-Bermondt and disbanded 18 December 1919 after returning to Germany.

The document is stamped on the reverse that the cross was issued (rather than being privately purchased).

Baltic Cr doc_Weickhmann.jpg

Baltic Cr doc_WeickhmannRev.jpg

Edited by bolewts58