News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anybody have any idea who this Prussian Artillery Officer is? ... Sorry for the very poor picture. This is a CDV that I have, fantastic ribbon bar, but unfortunatly I can't make out the awards .... Rick L .... Help :speechless-smiley-004:

Guest Rick Research

Where was the photographer? The town will tell which field artillery regiment this was.

1) Iron Cross 1914

2) COULD be Red Eagle Order 4, or maybe the Hamburg Hanseatic

3) hmm hmm

4) hmm hmm

5) 1900-1901 China Medal

6) 1897 Centenary Medal (yellow comes out darkest on old photographic processes)

3 and 4 are very very light and look the same shade. From placement I'd suspect a Prussian Crown Order 4 and a XXV Years Long Service Cross... but those shades would be different from each other. (Dark blue DOES come out lighter than yellow in the weird chemicals process on some of these)

That is a quite unusual style ribbon bar for during the war. I wonder if it is a 1920s photo in his pre-war BLUE uniform? Stranger things went on under Weimar!

Rick, the CDV was taken in Belin by this photographer. I worked out the first two awards and the last two the same as you.

3&4 are the mystery ones to me also :speechless-smiley-004: I've also got the feeling the guy is from a Foot Artillery Regiment as the chinscales on his Haube seem to be of the flat type.

What is the coat-of-arms at the top of the print on the back of the photograph? Also, what is "Herz. Sachs?"

Could the photographer have been from one of the states, with a Berlin office?

Maybe a clue.

Ralph, the coat-of-arms is Saxon. I've just had another look at the bar and .... I think there maybe seven awards on it. The spacing of the ribbons seems to be too wide for just the two awards after the possible Red Eagle Order.

I just wish I could get a clearer picture of the bar, but even with a loupe it's still hard to see.

The shoulder boards would be a help if I could see them better :speechless-smiley-004:

Rick, what do you think about there being 7 awards?

Guest Rick Research

Nope, only six 25mm ribbons. Take a piece of paper and draw a line against the end of the first two and last two ribbons. It's hard to see the exact white edges from the Red Eagle and China, but matches to that bit of vagueness with the two in the center, for six equal spaces.