News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Unfortunately, I was away for several days when this thread was started. I would like to compliment all who have contributed to it. :cheers: To start giving praise to certain pieces would be take so long and inevitably, I would likely miss something :banger: - to a Brunswick fan this is like the ultimate Christmas morning! :jumping:

I would like to take a few moments to fill in some gaps, I hope that you enjoy them. We will start with a real oldie.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Wild Card

Next, let?s move to the outer limits of the House Order of Henry the Lion. Unlike most Imperial German states, Brunswick incorporated their arts and science awards under the house order. The Brunswick arts and science awards came in two classes; but (another oddity) the second class was further divided into two ?sections?.

Shown below is an example of the second class, second section (with crown), as awarded to a woman.

Edited by Wild Card

Continuing up the ladder of the house order, we come to the 1870 and 1914 military merit crosses, the honor decorations and the merit crosses. Because none of these have horses, I will jump to the house order cross 4th class. Here is an example by J?rgens.

There are a couple of other examples which I would like to post; but unfortunately, they do not live here at home. I hope to be able to get them here in a few days at which time I will post them. Please bear with me.

Thank you,

Wild Card

Very interesting Andreas! The tail is totally different! Love the swords version!!!

Marc

Hi Marc,

You have alluded to one of the most popular questions regarding Imperial German orders.

Since the foundation of the order in 1834, there were a number of house jewelers who produced pieces for his order. Starting with the first, August Lemme, through the next to last, F. Siebrecht, the horse?s tail was always ?down?. When the last house jeweler, Hermann J?rgens, took over in 1912, they referred back to the official seal of Brunswick which showed the horse's tail as ?up?, so...

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Thank you very much Marc. As you know, I had the good fortune to ?grow up? under George and Eric?s guidance - damn! I wish that I had listened more and talked less.

I?ve got a couple more that I think you might enjoy; give me a few days to get them home.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

My Komturkreuz in Gold of the Hausorden Heinrich des L?wen...

Your stuff, Andreas, is really breathtaking... how many RK with swords in the middle were given: 5? There was also one on Thies' auction today, "am Einzelbandschnalle". Great also and extremely rare the spange "old style". About what date would you situate your medal bar?

Ciao,

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

According to Reckewell/Fisher, there were five knight first class and two knight second class awards with swords made between 1908 and 1918. These would have been the type with the swords through the middle; those prior to that would be the type with the swords below the cross.

We missed you in Kircheim on Saturday. See you in December?

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Stogieman,

Thank you. Yes - see below. A few of the kids came home for a visit today; pictures will follow.

Red Eagle, that is a real beauty. Unfortunately, the true artistry of these little guys can only be best appreciated when seen in person. Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes,

Wild Card