News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Yankee,

Have you posted this piece before? I have seen it, or one just like it, somewhere. Obviously it is not a standard issue piece and I seriously doubt that it is an intentional fake produced for the collector?s market.

That leaves at least two other possibilities. The first would be that it is a spangenstuck. I would point out, however, that from what I have seen over the years, spangenstuck invariably have plain (without detail) metal reverses. The other possibility that comes to mind is that it could be a sales display piece.

Any other ideas out there?

Regards,

Wild Card

P.S. As you know, but for the benefit of others, the ribbon is incorrect.

Hi Yankee,

Have you posted this piece before? I have seen it, or one just like it, somewhere. Obviously it is not a standard issue piece and I seriously doubt that it is an intentional fake produced for the collector?s market.

That leaves at least two other possibilities. The first would be that it is a spangenstuck. I would point out, however, that from what I have seen over the years, spangenstuck invariably have plain (without detail) metal reverses. The other possibility that comes to mind is that it could be a sales display piece.

Any other ideas out there?

Regards,

Wild Card

P.S. As you know, but for the benefit of others, the ribbon is incorrect.

Hi Wild Card

I had posted this exact one last year to be ID & nobody knew for sure why it was manufactured as such, but it was worth a shot since there are a lot of international collectors on this forum. Some very advanced collectors have examined this badge over the years and were unable to explain it. My best guess would be a prototype but that is only my feelings. A thread for the unexplained would be sometning worth considering. Thanks for your input.

Sincerely

Yankee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roman, is this a commander's cross? I cannot imagine this to be a copy as the detail is exquisite... but I have not seen that round Laurel leaf suspension loop before?

(of course I have not seen a Commander's Cross before either!)

Very beautiful and I will defer to a more-experienced member on authenticity...

Wildcard!? out there??

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

//It looks much like a modern put-together to me.

Hello Saschaw:

That's entirely possible. I had some reservations when I purchased it as the dealer had a mixture of original and fantasy bars. The individual ribbons and backing material pass the black light test and seem to be of the period. Though it appears gold, under 10x magnification the Frontline Service Clasp (Bew?hrungsabzeichen?) is silvered metal with tarnish.

Should it be cobbled together, one wonders why an EK2 ribbon wasn't thrown in for that added touch of je ne sais quoi.

At least the price was within reason. Is it the combination with the Mecklenburgische and Lippesche awards that make it smell bad?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Charles

Honestly, I don't know what makes it smell bad. It just does. Here's the matching medal bar that was offered on eBay some years ago. As bad as your ribbon bar, says my guts. Maybe they're wrong and both are fine - but I'd really wonder.

On friday I've been to the Kassel show. At least a third of German medal bars were faked, presumbaly even more. I didn't count them, but it wasn't a good feeling seeing that many put-togethers...

:speechless1:

I also have problems with the bar. I miss the iron cross. One had to get only the iron cross, before one got the brunswick cross. Moreover, the man was more than two years in the front.

Here's the matching medal bar that was offered on eBay some years ago. As bad as your ribbon bar, says my gut. Maybe they're wrong and both are fine - but I really wonder.

On Friday I went to the Kassel show.

At least a third of German medal bars were faked, presumably even more. I didn't count them, but it wasn't a good feeling seeing that many put-together bars.

/quote]

35% at Kassel were put together bars? :banger:

Were there any salient characteristics? That is, specific or typical patterns to the fakes?

Edited by Ulsterman

35% at Kassel were put together bars? :banger:

Were there any salient characteristics? That is, specific or typical patterns to the fakes?

Well, just a rough guess. May have been few... or more...

:speechless:

The typical stuff as eCrap, many with Austrian WWI awards on German style bars and they all looked very new, using fresh repro ribbons. My absolutely favorite was a three place bar with KDM 1813/14, Iron Cross 1813 and a veteran association award from 1880s. Great repro bar with an even greater altered 1914 EK II - for 950,- Euro....

:violent:

Most, if not all faked bars that I saw there would be recognized as such here, even from pictures. So all is still "fine", I think. At least for us that know a little about our stuff...

:unsure:

//Here's the matching medal bar that was offered on eBay some years ago.//

Hi Saschaw:

I'm amazed. You must have an encyclopedic dossier on these auction oddities. You also remembered the medal bar I purchased from Zeige in post Post #129.

No one likes wasting his money on fakes :blush:, but it was almost worth it just to see the corresponding medal bar.

Thanks again,

Charles

• 10 months later...