News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Webr55,

I apologize for waiting so long to answer your post. I was rather hoping that some of our more knowledgable members

would have some comments and information on this.

Sooooooo, here we go.

On 18 June 1815, Princes Carl and Wilhelm gave 1814 Dutch gold ducats as rewards to soldiers for their heroic acts at

the battle of Quatre Bras. For some reason these rewards are recognized as legitimate Brunswick decorations - OEK#628

and Hessenthal/Schreiber #351.

Of course, I cannot claim that this example is one of the awarded pieces, but present it to illustrate what is probably the

most obscure Brunswick decoration. In case you do not have it, below is the Hessenthal Schreiber entry .

Thank you for your request and, again, apologies for my taking so long to respond.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

WOW! Incredible!speechless1.gifspeechless1.gif

8 recipients -- almost 200 years ago... and they had to give them back later...

I'm afraid I cannot say anything about these. I will try to make some enquiries, however.

Best regards

Chris

The eight recipients are known:

1. Sergeant Eggeling from the Hussards Regiment, "who was the first to attack the enemy, being an exmple under fire for every cavalryman. He brilliantly stood out in the attacks on the french cavalry on June 18."

2. Lancer Lindemann. "He stroke down the commander of the French cuirassiers several times in front of his regiment and was hit by a bullet in doing so."

3. Bombardier Büchner. "He stood at the second howitzer, and was not only doing his duty but distinguished himself when the battery was attacked by hostile cuirassiers for the first time and Captain Orges got between two of the enemies. He wounded one of them with his sabre, so that he fell from his horse."

4. Soldier Heilemann of the Leibbataillon (Guards Battalion). "He was always the first voluntary on the advance, was all the time on the battlefield, though he was wounded at his head, and fought during the whole battle."

5. Sergeant Fischer of the first Light Battalion. "This brave man distinguished himself on June 16 and 18, especially with his bravery while skirmishing."

6. Feldwebel Kinkel from the first Line Battalion. "He recieved a major wound in the face on June 16 and was struck by a bullet in the left leg on June 18, but didn't leave his company."

7. Sergeant Fuhr from the second Line Battalion. "He carried his unit's colours and shouted when he was heavily wounded several times: 'Take anyone the colours so that it won't fall into the hands of the enemy.'"

8. Sergeant Mueller from the third Line Battalion. "This brave man asked for permission to step in front of the square during a hostile cavalry attack, and shot down two french officers at this opportunity."

The source of this informations is:

"Braunschweigisches Gedenkbuch zur fünfundzwanzigjährigen Feier der Schlachten von Quatrebras und Waterloo", Braunschweig 1840

The (very loose and bad) translation of the statements was done by me...:blush:

• 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...

To hold this threat alive:

Not so nice as the awards and decorations shown before, but also not often seen - the LDA 2nd class of brunswick...

hope you like it, too

regards

westfale

Edited by westfale

Guest leopold

1. Sergeant Eggeling from the Hussards Regiment, "who was the first to attack the enemy, being an exmple under fire for every cavalryman. He brilliantly stood out in the attacks on the french cavalry on June 18."

2. Lancer Lindemann. "He stroke down the commander of the French cuirassiers several times in front of his regiment and was hit by a bullet in doing so."

3. Bombardier Büchner. "He stood at the second howitzer, and was not only doing his duty but distinguished himself when the battery was attacked by hostile cuirassiers for the first time and Captain Orges got between two of the enemies. He wounded one of them with his sabre, so that he fell from his horse."

4. Soldier Heilemann of the Leibbataillon (Guards Battalion). "He was always the first voluntary on the advance, was all the time on the battlefield, though he was wounded at his head, and fought during the whole battle."

5. Sergeant Fischer of the first Light Battalion. "This brave man distinguished himself on June 16 and 18, especially with his bravery while skirmishing."

6. Feldwebel Kinkel from the first Line Battalion. "He recieved a major wound in the face on June 16 and was struck by a bullet in the left leg on June 18, but didn't leave his company."

7. Sergeant Fuhr from the second Line Battalion. "He carried his unit's colours and shouted when he was heavily wounded several times: 'Take anyone the colours so that it won't fall into the hands of the enemy.'"

8. Sergeant Mueller from the third Line Battalion. "This brave man asked for permission to step in front of the square during a hostile cavalry attack, and shot down two french officers at this opportunity."

"Braunschweigisches Gedenkbuch zur fünfundzwanzigjährigen Feier der Schlachten von Quatrebras und Waterloo", Braunschweig 1840

Waterloo-Ehren-Dukaten

13/08/1815 for NCO and soldiers for the battle of waterloo from 16/6 till 18/6/1818 by Braunschweiger princes Carl and Wilhelm

the dukaten where from the princes and where a gift from there father who died at Ouatrebras on 16/6/1818 Herzog Friedrich Wilhelm.

the 8 men where given the medal at Clichy near Paris on 13/08/1815.

by a order from herzog Wilhelm where given on 16/06/1834 the 8 men except the diciest Büchner and Kinkel the verdienstkreuz 2kl from the order Heinrichs des Löwen there had to lay down the Dukaten-medal.

regards,

Leopold

Guest leopold

Waterloo-Ehren-Dukaten

13/08/1815 for NCO and soldiers for the battle of waterloo from 16/6 till 18/6/1818 by Braunschweiger princes Carl and Wilhelm

the dukaten where from the princes and where a gift from there father who died at Ouatrebras on 16/6/1818 Herzog Friedrich Wilhelm.

the 8 men where given the medal at Clichy near Paris on 13/08/1815.

by a order from herzog Wilhelm where given on 16/06/1834 the 8 men except the diciest Büchner and Kinkel the verdienstkreuz 2kl from the order Heinrichs des Löwen there had to lay down the Dukaten-medal.

regards,

Leopold

Edited by leopold

This is one beautiful bar.

I do have a question though. Obviously the first decoration is affiliated with the Brunswick Order of Henry the Lion -

an honor decoration (medal) or, more likely a merit cross. Next is what looks like a long service decoration (cross)

for 20, 21 or 25 years.

Now, the last one. I am inclined to think that rather than an 1848-49 medal, it might be a Waterloo commemorative

medal. I suggest this because the blue and yellow is too light, or soft, to be for the 1848-49 medal; and is much closer

to the colors in the ribbon used for the Waterloo commemoratives.

Either way, as I said, a beautiful bar. Congratulations!

Wild Card

Incidentally, if my hunch is correct, I think that you will find the 21 year cross to be the correct one. Such combinations

have been seen more than once before.

Thanks Wild Card. I though think it's rather the 1848/49 than Waterloo. The bar dates in 1860s to 1880s from the construction, which makes Waterloo not impossible, but less likely.

However, I have neither to replace. :blush: