News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British WW1 Victory Medal Set

Hello there,

I am posting my ww1 British War Medal set for information. It could be awarded to a Canadian soldier, but I am not sure. The inscription on the edge reads "464205 SPR A.J. Gay G.E." and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the "SPR" and the "G.E." stood for. I assume the SPR is some type of private and it's probably right under my nose but any help is welcomed as I can't quite place the rank. As for the G.E. I really don't know, so any info is great. This is a nice little set with great silver patina and if anyone has any info to share on this specific medal or this medal in general please leave some!

Cheers :cool:

Pat

Edited by Avitas

and finally, the back of the miniature medal. I have had this set since I started collecting and finally dug it out to get the gentleman's information to be discussed and maybe his family can find it on a search, you never know! Again, any info on the large medal or any comments at all are very helpful,

Later,

Pat

OOps :P:cheeky: I am embarrassed! I knew it was the British War Medal, but I forgot the Victory medal is actually the other one that I don' have! I have seen the Victory medal a million times but I just spaced on the name, maybe the Slayer concert in Vancouver a couple days back killed too many brain cells. Times like this I wish I could edit the topic of this post and change it to "British War Medal"! Oh well, I am sick as a dog with the flu (also thanks to the Slayer concert! and my total lack of any sleep) so I guess my brain is not working, so it's a good thing I didn't go to work today!!

Thanks Darrell for the correction on my absent-minded mistake, and any info on the rank of "SPR"and what "G.E." stands for is welcome.

Cheers,

Pat

Guest Darrell

Thanks Darrell for the correction on my absent-minded mistake, and any info on the rank of "SPR"and what "G.E." stands for is welcome.

Cheers,

Pat

No problem. I'm like that about 90% of the time :cheeky:

To answer part of your question:

SPR = Sapper

"SPR." is Sapper, lowest rank in the Engineers. "G.E." is actually "C.E." and stands for Canadian Engineers.

Here are his enlistment papers Front

Back

At 45 years old he was older than most, but his trade of railway construction would have been valuable. The wonder is that he wasn't transferred to the Canadian Railway Troops (still possible, but you would need his full file to find out.)

Thanks for the detailed info Michael, the enlistment papers are a great addition to the story of this man. Means so much more to know a little about the winner of the medal. I also edited the posts so I fixed my mistake about the ID of the badge, but I dont know how to change the title of the thread.

Later,

Pat